Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

[xj-s] Valve Spring Compressors

[xj-s] Valve Spring Compressors

Somewhere in my book, Wikstroem reports that any old valve spring
compressor from a K-mart will work on the V12.  All I can say is they
must have better K-marts in Oz than here, 'cause I can't find squat
here!

Years ago my brother showed me his valve spring compressor.  I
remember it as a big bulky monstrosity that clearly wrapped around
the head and pushed down on the valve head on one side while pushing
on the spring on the other side.  So far, I haven't found anything
like that for sale.

I have seen a coupla different types of valve spring compressor that
work entirely from the top; the user is apparently expected to hold
the valve closed by other means.  Holding the valve isn't too
difficult while the head is off; you just set it on the bench, valve
side down, with a little block of wood under the exhaust valve.
These type of valve spring compressor have a pair of hooks that
apparently is inserted between the coils near the bottom, and either
a lever or a screw that pushes down on the collar.  I got ahold of
one of these, but it didn't work well for me.  For one thing, it was
difficult to insert the hooks between the coils -- but that may have
had something to do with the fact that I was using it on the valve
with the dropped seat, so the valve couldn't move to its fully closed
position.  Also, this type only compresses the OUTER spring, doesn't
do squat for the inner.  So, after using the tool to compress the
outer spring, you have to physically push down on the tool to
compress the inner spring -- all while trying to get those damn keys
out of the middle.  Sorry, but I find the whole idea sucks.

There's another kind that apparently is designed especially for a
Chevy.  It's just a lever that is held by a bolt on the head, and you
use it to push the spring down.  Of course, you're holding that valve
on your own again.  This idea might work, except of course the Jag
V12 doesn't have bolts in the same locations.  I'm currently thinking
about making a little adapter, a block that bolts to the V12 head and
provides a bolt for holding this tool.

I found another valve spring compressor sold by Discount Auto Parts
and described as a "Small Engine Valve Spring Compressor".  Despite
being put off by the name, every time I was in the store and looking
at it, it looked more and more perfect for this job.  I measured
everything on the head and the tool, and ended up buying it because
it looked perfect.  It's a C-clamp looking thing, with two different
"feet" to fit different size springs.  I got it home, and sure
enough it WAS perfect -- in design anyway.  Unfortunately, it's a
cheap piece of cr_p.  When tightening down the screw, the "foot"
tilts backwards because it ain't attached worth a d_mn, and the tilt
causes the foot to slide off the spring.  If it does it BEFORE you
get the cotters out, it just scares the piss out of you, but if it
does it as you're removing the cotters or after, it can be downright
dangerous.  No wonder the instructions say to wear eye protection!
On the second attempt, I managed to hold the tool in place by force
long enough to get the cotters out, and then when I went to carefully
undo the pressure the knob came off in my hand!  There were a few
words spoken at elevated decible levels, and this is Sunday.
Frankly, I wouldn't try this piece of junk again without full body
armor.  It's going back to the store with my compliments.

Actually, I'm thinking more about making an entire tool, sorta like
the one shown in the ROM.  By using a lever in line with the head,
perhaps the head will stand still by itself.  If the lever swings
across the head, the head will roll off the bench while you're
fiddling with those damn retainers.

 -- Kirbert      |     If anything is to be accomplished,