Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

Re: 'S' Type (and Older Saloon) Owners

Re: 'S' Type (and Older Saloon) Owners

Hello Martin,

> Where are all the restorers of older saloons - have they gone off to
another
> list (oops) ?  I've read nothing much recently, other than information
about
> XJ6's and XK8's !!

Yes, there are others of us you enjoy the older Jaguars here on the list.
We seem a bit outnumbered, but that's ok :) (we have a '67 420G nearing the
end of a long restoration).  I'm an 'enthusiast' and not an 'expert', so
please take my comments as such.

> I'm about to go out and buy an air compressor (2.5 HP, 7.5 cfm, 25 or 50
litre
> tank), professional spray gun, air tools, a 105 or 130 amp MIG welder and
an RSJ
> and hoist (1 Tonne ?) for the garage.  I'm going to try and do virtually
all the
> restoration work myself, including the painting.  Anyone want to write
and tell
> me I'm nuts (or otherwise)?  I'm one month into a two year restoration
plan.

You are nuts, but we all are.  You might like to get a larger compressor.
As you get into the project you will find that a small sandblasting cabinet
(or a large one if you can manage it) will be most useful.  These need a
lot of air.  5HP wouldn't be overkill.  Get the biggest compressor you have
space for and can afford.

> Can some one help me with names/details of the original Jaguar colours.
Were
> they Cellulose paints ?  What primers/undercoats are appropriate ?  Who
supplies
> suitable body paints in the UK ?   I currently like the idea of using the
> 'original' Jaguar maroon colour.  I need to be pursuaded to retain the
car's
> original beige/gold colour and yellowy interior.  A colleague assures me
it will
> look brilliant (and be more valuable) in it's original colour, but I
remain to
> be convinced.

When the S-type was being made Jaguar was using lacquer paints (at least
that is what we call them in the US).  I'm not sure if this translates to
Cellulose in the mother land ;).

I believe that generally Jaguars of this vintage do not carry body or
interior color codes anywhere on the vehicle (unlike many other cars).  As
a result, the only way to determine what color your car came from the
factory with is to have the serial number researched by Jaguar Heritage
Trust.  Few people ever both with that.  Personally I've noticed that
desirable color combinations are more important to value than as-shipped
color combinations.  It is worthwhile to go with a color the car could have
been painted originally.  We did the exterior of our 420G in black over
silver as it appeared to have been painted originally because it looks
smashing.  The interior had been finished in a greenish color of gray,
which didn't look so good.  We went with a complete red interior kit from
BAS which looks perfect against the black over silver exterior.

<snip?

> Lifting the engine out - I gather the best way is engine gearbox and
overdrive
> all in one.  Are the two 'bridges'  between the cam housings intended as
lifting
> points.  My old Autopress manual is a bit vague (anyone recommend a
better
> manual ?).  I assume that as the engine is lifted, the car has to be
rolled
> backwards to allow the gearbox and overdrive to follow the engine out of
the
> engine compartment ?

In theory the bridges are for engine removal.  We had the major engine
work, body work and interior fitment done by a shop so I don't have much
more to add.

Do make sure to get a reprint of the original Jaguar manual.  Bookspeed in
Beckenham, Kent at 0181-994-7054 has them advertised at 27.95 pounds.  They
also list the official parts catalogue for 24.95.  Get both for sure
considering the project you are doing.

> Anyone going to a Jaguar spares day advertised in Farnham next Sunday ?

Sorry, to far from California for me to attend.

John Horner

'67 420G
'72 Volvo 1800ES  (at least it has Smith's gauges)
'92 Volvo 245 (loving called The Truck and providing excellent service
every day)
'96 Volvo 854 (for when I need to be sure to actually get somewhere!)

Please help support the move to the new site, and DONATE what you can.
A big Thank You to those who have donated already!

Go to our Homepage
Improve your Jag-lovers experience with the Mozilla FireFox Browser!

  View the latest posts from our Forums via an RSS Feed!

©Jag-loversTM Ltd / JagWEBTM 1993 - 2024
All rights reserved. Jag-lovers is supported by JagWEBTM
For Terms of Use and General Rules see our Disclaimer
Use of the Jag-lovers logo or trademark name on sites other than Jag-lovers itself in a manner implying endorsement of commercial activities whatsoever is prohibited. Sections of this Web Site may publish members and visitors comments, opinion and photographs/images - Jag-lovers Ltd does not assume or have any responsibility or any liability for members comments or opinions, nor does it claim ownership or copyright of any material that belongs to the original poster including images. The word 'Jaguar' and the leaping cat device, whether used separately or in combination, are registered trademarks and are the property of Jaguar Cars, England. Some images may also be © Jaguar Cars. Mirroring or downloading of this site or the publication of material or any extracts therefrom in original or altered form from these pages onto other sites (including reproduction by any other Jaguar enthusiast sites) without express permission violates Jag-lovers Ltd copyright and is prohibited
Go to our Homepage
Your Browser is: Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com), IP Address logged as 18.119.172.243 on 22nd May 2024 00:09:09