Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

'S' Type (and Older Saloon) Owners

'S' Type (and Older Saloon) Owners

Martin, Hi

>Where are all the restorers of older saloons -
We tend to lurk in the background, and just rise up when the need is there :-)
There are a couple of doxen of us around, unless you go to the separate XK or E-
Type lists.

>I'm about to go out and buy an air compressor
Can't help with compressors and welders myself, got too many friends who do that
for me

>Can some one help me with names/details of the original Jaguar colours.
I can get a list of original colour combinations, that is all.
Incidentally, my colour combination is not-listed, ie was made to special order
when it was new.  This was very common in the sixties and before.

>Any ideas for obtaining a pair of 'S' type front  (outer) wings at a reasonable
>price.  I must get in touch with FB components to find whether their list price
>of around GBP 1,500 plus VAT(Each !!!) is real or a horrible mistake !
Uh, real.  I have that price list, and the price is much the same as Robey.
Ocasionally, in one of the magazines, there are wings sold as new at about 500
pounds.  Often I have been tempted to buy just in case.
My car had a new wing fitted in 1974 (father's fault!) and the price then was 35
pounds.  Second hand should be reasonably obtainable.  It is not normal to
replace the whole wing nowadays, most folk replace part panels.
The other of my wings is original 1964!

>Lifting the engine out - I gather the best way is engine gearbox and overdrive
>all in one.
Yup Some take the gearbox off first.
>Are the two 'bridges'  between the cam housings intended as lifting points.
Yup.  You balance the angle using them.  If taking the engine out above, you
need an engine lift that goes very high, and the engine goes to an incredible
angle

>My old Autopress manual is a bit vague (anyone recommend a better manual ?).
Jaguars own manual is very very good. Parts manual makes life very easy.

>I assume that as the engine is lifted, the car has to be rolled
>backwards to allow the gearbox and overdrive to follow the engine out of the
>engine compartment ?
I removed the subframe, and lowered the engine.  Much much better when going
back in.  The front crossmember needs to be more than 33 inches of the ground to
do this, and your engine lift need to be moveable.  Involves lowering the
engine, and re-tying the lift to the engine after it has been pulled forward a
bit to allow the front of the car to clear.  Much to be recomennded if you have
a nice paint job.  If you need to push the car again, subframe can go on and off
like a yo-yo easily with just a few bolts to hold it.

Alastair Lauener
1964 3.4 S-Type

Please help support the move to the new site, and DONATE what you can.
A big Thank You to those who have donated already!

Go to our Homepage
Improve your Jag-lovers experience with the Mozilla FireFox Browser!

  View the latest posts from our Forums via an RSS Feed!

©Jag-loversTM Ltd / JagWEBTM 1993 - 2024
All rights reserved. Jag-lovers is supported by JagWEBTM
For Terms of Use and General Rules see our Disclaimer
Use of the Jag-lovers logo or trademark name on sites other than Jag-lovers itself in a manner implying endorsement of commercial activities whatsoever is prohibited. Sections of this Web Site may publish members and visitors comments, opinion and photographs/images - Jag-lovers Ltd does not assume or have any responsibility or any liability for members comments or opinions, nor does it claim ownership or copyright of any material that belongs to the original poster including images. The word 'Jaguar' and the leaping cat device, whether used separately or in combination, are registered trademarks and are the property of Jaguar Cars, England. Some images may also be © Jaguar Cars. Mirroring or downloading of this site or the publication of material or any extracts therefrom in original or altered form from these pages onto other sites (including reproduction by any other Jaguar enthusiast sites) without express permission violates Jag-lovers Ltd copyright and is prohibited
Go to our Homepage
Your Browser is: Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com), IP Address logged as 18.224.52.200 on 21st May 2024 16:29:13