Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

Re: [xj-s] Valve Stem Seals

Re: [xj-s] Valve Stem Seals

> From:          "David Low" <dkl@lbwf.gov.uk>
>
> The Jaguar engines, from the outset were designed to be relatively 'loose',
> and always burned/used/consumed some oil.

I don't think so.  This was true of earlier engines, including my
Triumph GT6.  However, it certainly is not an option for any car that
has to meet US emission standards.

> If you start reducing the oil feed to stems, especially exhaust valves, you
> are going to cause localised overheating.

IMHO, doubtful.  The valve guides are pressed into an aluminum head
that is cooled by liquid coolant -- IOW, the valve guides themselves
are going to be cool if the cooling system is working.  If any oil at
all leaks down the guide, it won't be enough to do any significant
cooling.  The other end of the valve is facing combustion heat;
enough oil flow to counteract this heat would be a major leak indeed.

If I understood Carpentier's insinuations correctly, he may be
suggesting that the lack of sealing is one of the factors that CAUSES
overheating of the exhaust valve stem.  When it's sealed, only the
head and tulip gets hot, as expected.  But if exhaust gases are
leaking up the guide, then they heat the stem all the way up.

> Other items in this newsgroup
> indicate to me that overheating appears to be a real problem in the USA.

Unrelated.  We're talking about overheating the head after shutdown
causing the valve seats to drop.

> If you overheat a valve at the stem/guide interface, you will at best
> increase wear rate,

I am concerned about wear rate, but due to a lack of lubrication, not
due to overheating.

> and at worst cause a local siezure, possibly with the
> result of dropping a valve guide.

I'm not sure why a seized valve stem would cause a dropped valve
seat, but I'm not sure it would matter -- if the valve stem seizes,
you're probably in for major work anyway, dropping a seat wouldn't
add signficantly to the workload.

> If I was to contemplate doing this on either the AJ6, or any of the V12
> variants, I would be looking very carefully at the actual valve
> composition, and the engineering profile.

I was wondering if Teflon valve stem seals wouldn't be more suitable
with sintered bronze valve guides than the sintered iron guides in
the Jag, but mainly from a lubrication standpoint, not heating.

> Without research, I'm not sure of the type of valves fitted, but would be
> looking for sodium filled, and stellite faced valves.

If you find EITHER to fit the Jag, let's hear about it!

> I would consider
> teflon on input valves.

That is an option.  The question of nitrile vs. Teflon is one thing,
12 places vs. 24 is another.

> Before any of you actually undertake this process, I strongly recommend
> that you contact either AJ enginnering...

Have already forwarded Bywater's response.  So far, his opinion seems
to be more of a "why bother?" type of thing rather than pointing out
some sort of real problem with using Teflon seals.

> The original nitrile seals do wear, and are known to be a problem...

Is this true?  I couldn't say for sure when responding to Bywater.

> and they
> also get brittle, again overheating?

My car apparently overheated, since I dropped a valve seat.  But my
nitrile seals were NOT brittle -- one of the few types of rubber
parts from my car that weren't.  It's either fairly cool within the
valve train area, or the Mobil 1 helps keep the nitrile pliable.

> As the temperatures in the USA are very high this year, I would also try
> and find out what specs Jag used on engines shipped to the middle east..
> Probably lower compression ratios, different radiators, high capacity water
> pumps etc etc....

Who's taking bets?  My money is that the engines are EXACTLY the same
as anywhere else with a similar lack of environmental regulations.
In fact, I'll even bet that the MidEast cars didn't get the full flow
oil cooling that Germany had until everyone else got it.

 -- Kirbert      |     If anything is to be accomplished,
                 |     some rules must be broken.
                 |          - Palm's Postulate

Follow-Ups: References:

Please help support the move to the new site, and DONATE what you can.
A big Thank You to those who have donated already!

Go to our Homepage
Improve your Jag-lovers experience with the Mozilla FireFox Browser!

  View the latest posts from our Forums via an RSS Feed!

©Jag-loversTM Ltd / JagWEBTM 1993 - 2024
All rights reserved. Jag-lovers is supported by JagWEBTM
For Terms of Use and General Rules see our Disclaimer
Use of the Jag-lovers logo or trademark name on sites other than Jag-lovers itself in a manner implying endorsement of commercial activities whatsoever is prohibited. Sections of this Web Site may publish members and visitors comments, opinion and photographs/images - Jag-lovers Ltd does not assume or have any responsibility or any liability for members comments or opinions, nor does it claim ownership or copyright of any material that belongs to the original poster including images. The word 'Jaguar' and the leaping cat device, whether used separately or in combination, are registered trademarks and are the property of Jaguar Cars, England. Some images may also be © Jaguar Cars. Mirroring or downloading of this site or the publication of material or any extracts therefrom in original or altered form from these pages onto other sites (including reproduction by any other Jaguar enthusiast sites) without express permission violates Jag-lovers Ltd copyright and is prohibited
Go to our Homepage
Your Browser is: Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com), IP Address logged as 3.14.12.110 on 19th May 2024 13:34:24