Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

Re: [xj-s] Valve Stem Seals

Re: [xj-s] Valve Stem Seals

Hi,

have been following this trail with some interest, but have become a bit
alarmed in one respect.

The Jaguar engines, from the outset were designed to be relatively 'loose',
and always burned/used/consumed some oil.

If you start reducing the oil feed to stems, especially exhaust valves, you
are going to cause localised overheating. Other items in this newsgroup
indicate to me that overheating appears to be a real problem in the USA.

If you overheat a valve at the stem/guide interface, you will at best
increase wear rate, and at worst cause a local siezure, possibly with the
result of dropping a valve guide.

If I was to contemplate doing this on either the AJ6, or any of the V12
variants, I would be looking very carefully at the actual valve
composition, and the engineering profile.

Without research, I'm not sure of the type of valves fitted, but would be
looking for sodium filled, and stellite faced valves. I would consider
teflon on input valves.

Before any of you actually undertake this process, I strongly recommend
that you contact either AJ enginnering or TWR (Tom Walkinshaw Racing),
contactable via the JagWeb. These engineers have probably the widest
experience of Jag engines.

The original nitrile seals do wear, and are known to be a problem, and they
also get brittle, again overheating?. However we have few problems here in
the UK, and I'm sure the lower ambient temperatures must part of the
reason.

As the temperatures in the USA are very high this year, I would also try
and find out what specs Jag used on engines shipped to the middle east..
Probably lower compression ratios, different radiators, high capacity water
pumps etc etc....

regards

David L