Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

[xj-s] Re:

[xj-s] Re:

C Kyriakides wrote:

> US, 1990 Jaguar XJS V12 Convertible, 5.3
> (snip)
God Bless all Jaguar Experts.  They are needed in this world!
found that the radiator is seriously clogged
I would also love to see my cat running without a heartburn.
Does the engine get damaged by prolonged running at higher than normal
temperatures?
Is there any way I unclog the radiator without lightening my wallet by
$1,000?  I would apreciate any comments.
Also, I got this crazy idea of getting rid of the noisy, huge,  heavy
yellow mechanical fan and replacing it with an electric one.
How difficult a job is it, bearing in mind that I am an Electrical/
Electronics Engineer?  Can anyone tell me?
Also, how about an oil cooler?

Thanks in advance,

Chris,
1990 Jaguar XJS V12 Convertible, 5.3
(snip)

First, read THE BOOK, not the archives.  In fact, I have repeatedly
tried to get infomation out the the archives only to be frustrated.  The
book is now accessable online from jag-lovers.com.  Read it.

Second, if you take your radiator out yourself, take it to a radiator
shop.  They will clean it for $100 or so.  I think the term is rod, they
will rod it out.  They will also flow and pressure check it.  I took
mine out friday.  It took two hours, but I played around a lot.  (I
didn't believe it was NOT bolted in at the bottom).  I think THE BOOK
talks about this too.  (by the way, I got a call from the shop saying
they wanted to leave it in the vat a while cause it was "still hurling
white chunks".... get desrcipiton huh!)

Third, Jags do not get heartburn from overheating, they do get dropped
exhaust valve seats.  That is way more money than you want to spend.  I
know THE BOOK talks about this.  It is a common problem that you do not
want to have.  You must keep your cooling system up to par.

Fourth, many have converted to electric fans.  They are available at
almost any autoparts store for about $100.  Some of us have opted to get
used ones.  The author of THE BOOK had luck finding them in GM
transversly mounted V6 cars.  I found that Fieros make great doner cars.
You need the biggest one you can find in a junkyard.  I think the
biggest standard GM is 16+ inches. I got two for $21.00 a piece.  The
jag shroud is cut for a 17 inch fan.  The author of THE BOOK is having a
new sheet metal shroud made for $20.  I am going to try and attach to
the original shroud, others have attached to the radiator or to the
shroud, but the shroud is bolted to the car better, the radiator sits on
rubber and is only bolted in at the top so it may vibrate more.  I also
want to be able to remove the radiator without fussing with removing the
shroud and then another fan.

As an aside, some of us are considering adding an electric water pump to
the jag to cool if after shutdown.  At this time there is a lot of heat
in the engigne that is not being transfered away.  Runing a fan or
popping the hood after shut down may help.  Imediately after shutdown
engine temperatures soar.  This is when valve seats apparently drop.

Fifth, the jag alredy has an oil cooler (in fact it likes to trick you
into thinking that the radiator is bolted in at the bottom by hanging on
to the radiator and not letting go when you try to remove it).  The oil
cooler is a bypass cooler only.  THE BOOK descirbes a couple of methods
for making it always work, which seems like a really good idea since it
doesn't cool now when your engine REALLY needs it.  I haven't tried this
modification yet.

Sixth, if you are an engineer you are way up on me.  You can certainly
remove a radiator yourself and hang an electric fan.  People on this
list will help guide your way.  This list has been VERY good to me.

I am responding to your questions becuase they are commonly asked, and
because I thought it would take some the burden off the others.

As you can probably tell since I repeated it so much, THE BOOK is the
best thing you can read to understand what should be done to keep your
Jag on the road.

73XJ12 (yeah, I don't have an S, but I have all the same problems)

    • From: C Kyriakides <christky@erols.com>

Please help support the move to the new site, and DONATE what you can.
A big Thank You to those who have donated already!

Go to our Homepage
Improve your Jag-lovers experience with the Mozilla FireFox Browser!

  View the latest posts from our Forums via an RSS Feed!

©Jag-loversTM Ltd / JagWEBTM 1993 - 2024
All rights reserved. Jag-lovers is supported by JagWEBTM
For Terms of Use and General Rules see our Disclaimer
Use of the Jag-lovers logo or trademark name on sites other than Jag-lovers itself in a manner implying endorsement of commercial activities whatsoever is prohibited. Sections of this Web Site may publish members and visitors comments, opinion and photographs/images - Jag-lovers Ltd does not assume or have any responsibility or any liability for members comments or opinions, nor does it claim ownership or copyright of any material that belongs to the original poster including images. The word 'Jaguar' and the leaping cat device, whether used separately or in combination, are registered trademarks and are the property of Jaguar Cars, England. Some images may also be © Jaguar Cars. Mirroring or downloading of this site or the publication of material or any extracts therefrom in original or altered form from these pages onto other sites (including reproduction by any other Jaguar enthusiast sites) without express permission violates Jag-lovers Ltd copyright and is prohibited
Go to our Homepage
Your Browser is: Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com), IP Address logged as 3.139.105.83 on 19th May 2024 14:03:00