Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

Re: [xj-s] Questions of many areas

Re: [xj-s] Questions of many areas

I've always wanted to play online-mechanic, so he goes...

My answers...
 1. Dead Speedo?  No specific idea.
 2. After starting the engine the tachometer will not work at first, but
 works after about 15-20 seconds.
    I'd just say screw it and let that happen, but it is surely realted to
your speedo.
 3. At engine startup the alternator light on the dash does not go out
 for about 30-40 seconds.
  Can be two things.  Either your belt is taking a second to get warm and
sticky and catch, or this is just nothing all. Sometimes takes a mintue to
kick in on mine too... no worry here.
     ALL THESE GUAGE THINGS ARE probably related to a windshield seal leak...
Dirty rusty guage connections.
 4. Sometimes the air conditioning will not work and sometimes it will.
     This is your pressure valve sticking open... needs to be replaced with
drier.  If you are now on R134a you can do it yourself, otherwise you gonna
have to pay big $$$.
 6. The engine seems to have a light surge at any cruseing speed, like it
 wants to go faster.
      Probably not either of my ideas though.  Make sure your cruise is shut
off... sometimes mine will "resume" to a speed I set long ago and surges ahead
trying to resume.  Also could be that the V-12 really does want to go
faster...  Probably not either of my ideas though.
 7. Sometimes the engine just stops, but will restart after a few trys.
    Famous problem, something expensive and electrical is baked and I smell
ECU.  ALSO could be fuel vaporization... We need more info as to when/what
conditions to be certain.
 8. The power antenna will not raise when radio is turned on, but can be
 activated with a direct power lead.
     Is there any power coming to the lead when the radio is on?  Something is
unplugged, un-soldered.  If the antenea works on the bench, there is a power-
flo problem.  Check if there is power at the little plug connector, and if
not, make sure nothing is bad behind the radio next.... Is this line fused on
yours?   Mine is, some aren't I hear.
 9. The steering is unusual, after making a low speed turn in which the
 engine speed is at or near idle RPM the steering wheel wil not return to
 top dead center, but will be cocked toward the direction of the turn.
 This happens in both directions and on every low speed turn.
      These are your rack bushes.  They are so shot that they have totally
seperated into two peices each...   Basically what happens is that when you
turn the steering the rack is moving and not the wheels... and your rack is
moving over, cocking the steering wheel, but making the tires straight.
Because the metal part of bush has seperated from rubber part, it can be
resistant to go back to where it belongs.  VERY easy to fix, call John's Cars
and get their bushes and bush removal/installation tool.  $50 fix and
transforms the car.

I'm sure we'll get ALOT more opinions

   John

Please help support the move to the new site, and DONATE what you can.
A big Thank You to those who have donated already!

Go to our Homepage
Improve your Jag-lovers experience with the Mozilla FireFox Browser!

  View the latest posts from our Forums via an RSS Feed!

©Jag-loversTM Ltd / JagWEBTM 1993 - 2024
All rights reserved. Jag-lovers is supported by JagWEBTM
For Terms of Use and General Rules see our Disclaimer
Use of the Jag-lovers logo or trademark name on sites other than Jag-lovers itself in a manner implying endorsement of commercial activities whatsoever is prohibited. Sections of this Web Site may publish members and visitors comments, opinion and photographs/images - Jag-lovers Ltd does not assume or have any responsibility or any liability for members comments or opinions, nor does it claim ownership or copyright of any material that belongs to the original poster including images. The word 'Jaguar' and the leaping cat device, whether used separately or in combination, are registered trademarks and are the property of Jaguar Cars, England. Some images may also be © Jaguar Cars. Mirroring or downloading of this site or the publication of material or any extracts therefrom in original or altered form from these pages onto other sites (including reproduction by any other Jaguar enthusiast sites) without express permission violates Jag-lovers Ltd copyright and is prohibited
Go to our Homepage
Your Browser is: Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com), IP Address logged as 3.145.195.198 on 19th May 2024 15:05:01