Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

Re: [xj-s] Vacuum advance module repair

Re: [xj-s] Vacuum advance module repair

> From:          "Lee Opausky" <Opausky@netcom.ca>
> I have completed a John Napoli described repair of a spare
> advance module.  The  flat link assembly  from a module bought for a Chevy
> 350 did not fit the internal Lucas spring, also the size of the Chevy
> assembly inside the Lucas dome did not allow for the full 5/16 " travel
> required. ( 88 - 89 non Marelli).

Arrrgh.  Will add that tidbit to the book.

> Therefore I fabd a new actuating rod out of a brass rod, treaded at one
> end, using the old Lucas washers to hold the Chevy diaphragm compressed by
> a nut .

I started with one of those long bolts used to hold electric motors
together; they are threaded only at one end, so I cut the head off
the other end and fabbed the shank into a suitable link.

> Only one concern: even using the smallest bolts ( 3-48 I believe) , the
> holes required in the rim of the dome left barely 1 mm metal to compress
> and hold the edge of the diaphragm. This is less than 1/4 of the original
> compression area...

With compression area, the smaller the better; the same amount of
bolt tension divided over a smaller surface area provides a better
seal up to higher pressures.  Pipe flanges are commonly designed
with all but a small area recessed to concentrate the compression
force to secure the joint at high pressures.

> and with the continuos workings of the diaphragm the
> rubber is likely to tear...

Why?  Would the configuration result in localized flexing or stress
concentrations?

> Any suggestion to clamp the old Lucas dome together other than drill away
> the surface of the mating rim?

How about this: two metal rings, both exactly the same, with an ID
just inside of the clamping area and an OD just enough LARGER than
the OD of the module itself to fit an array of screws just outside
the module and against the outside edge of it.

Anybody wanna machine up a few dozen and give us a price?

> Kirby indicated recently that he did a vac adv module repair years ago, I
> wonder what clamping method he used?

I very carefully uncrimped the original assembly and crimped it back
together when done.  Only works once, and doesn't work well then --
but using the relatively thick and soft inner tube material makes it
seal OK.

> He also mentioned that he used a
> piece of INNER TUBE for diaphragm, this really grabbed my interest!  How
> did it stand up in the high heat?

Inner tubes apparently handle heat fairly well, in that hot truck
tires are not supposed to fail.  Mine sure seems to be hanging in
there OK.

I was more concerned about its flexibility; would the vacuum merely
flex the diaphram without moving the advance?  Considering the
diameter of the disks on either side of the diaphram (which are there
to provide a definite piston area), I decided it would at least work
well enough.

> ( the Chevy diaph is really
> fragile looking...

How it LOOKS may not be critical.  In general, this membrane doesn't
see much stress -- engine vacuum is not a large force.  Having it
THIN may allow it to flex with a minimum of stress.

> - maybe Lucas' idea of having a double membrane and fiber
> or canvas reinforced has a merit).

The fiber or canvas reinforcing is intended to allow the material to
flex but prohibit it from stretching -- which is what you want for a
diaphram.  This is what I worried about with the inner tube, but the
material was so thick it was hard to stretch and normal engine vacuum
won't stretch it significantly.

I don't recall mine being double, but whether or not, doubling
generally does little for life.  When the first one fails, the second
fails shortly thereafter because it has withstood the same age and
wear.  I'd rather they provide ONE layer that lasts than two that
don't.

It may be that they provided two layers to achieve a desired
stiffness, though.

> Medical rubber cut from hot water bottle
> or a piece of acid proof rubber gloves which has a fiber mesh backing could
> be more heat resistant.

In my experience, medical materials suck.  I'm sure there are good
ones and bad ones, but several I have tried on different projects
couldn't handle heat, exposure to hydrocarbons, or age well at all.
And they are always overpriced.

There's always the possibility of finding a suitable diaphram in a
small engine shop in a diaphram-type carburetor overhaul kit.  I
doubt if it'll be more cost-effective than the Chevy advance module,
though.

 -- Kirbert      |     If anything is to be accomplished,
                 |     some rules must be broken.
                 |          - Palm's Postulate

Follow-Ups: References:

Please help support the move to the new site, and DONATE what you can.
A big Thank You to those who have donated already!

Go to our Homepage
Improve your Jag-lovers experience with the Mozilla FireFox Browser!

  View the latest posts from our Forums via an RSS Feed!

©Jag-loversTM Ltd / JagWEBTM 1993 - 2024
All rights reserved. Jag-lovers is supported by JagWEBTM
For Terms of Use and General Rules see our Disclaimer
Use of the Jag-lovers logo or trademark name on sites other than Jag-lovers itself in a manner implying endorsement of commercial activities whatsoever is prohibited. Sections of this Web Site may publish members and visitors comments, opinion and photographs/images - Jag-lovers Ltd does not assume or have any responsibility or any liability for members comments or opinions, nor does it claim ownership or copyright of any material that belongs to the original poster including images. The word 'Jaguar' and the leaping cat device, whether used separately or in combination, are registered trademarks and are the property of Jaguar Cars, England. Some images may also be © Jaguar Cars. Mirroring or downloading of this site or the publication of material or any extracts therefrom in original or altered form from these pages onto other sites (including reproduction by any other Jaguar enthusiast sites) without express permission violates Jag-lovers Ltd copyright and is prohibited
Go to our Homepage
Your Browser is: Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com), IP Address logged as 3.144.13.181 on 19th May 2024 16:30:53