Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

[xj-s] British Attitudes Toward Tolerances

[xj-s] British Attitudes Toward Tolerances

> My money is that the problem is with the age-old British tradition of
> designing up against the wrong side of tolerances.

When I was working at P&WA on jet engines, we once ended up with a
contract to make blades for the Rolls Royce Pegasus engine, the
engine that powers the Harrier vertical takeoff jet.  We got a
firsthand look at British attitudes toward tolerances.  The first
thing that got to us was that the Brits had two separate sets of
drawings with different tolerances -- one for the guys MAKING the
part and a second (looser) for the guys INSPECTING the part.  This
causes doubts all around on what the tolerances really are
(tolerances aren't supposed to be just random numbers, they are
supposed to reflect the range of dimensions that will actually WORK).
 It caused the machinists to not really care too much about hitting
the tolerances since they were aware that the inspectors may accept
it anyway.

The second lesson was that their tolerances didn't make any sense --
and this from P&WA engineers, who are known for nonsensical
tolerances.  As an example: the blades we were working on were
something like 3 feet long, and had a "mid-span shroud" -- those
protrusions from either side of the blade that are supposed to fit
against the one on the next blade and form a continuous ring.  When
the blade was held by the root and a dimension to the contact surface
of the shroud was taken, the tolerance was .002" -- but if you merely
rolled the blade over and measured it again, the force of gravity
alone would bend the blade by more than .030".  And trying to get any
guidance from RR about just how you're supposed to measure this thing
to get the desired dimension proved difficult or impossible, I dunno
if they ever did figure it out.

 -- Kirbert      |     If anything is to be accomplished,