Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

[jag-news] Jag-lovers Exclusive - Paul Skilleter drives the new XJ

[jag-news] Jag-lovers Exclusive - Paul Skilleter drives the new XJ

We are proud to offer the first true ** expert hands-on evaluation ** of
the new XJ (X350) range available exclusively here on Jag-lovers for all
our users!

Along with other motoring correspondents and dealer representatives, well
known and respected Jaguar Historian and author/editor Paul Skilleter very
recently spent some time at a secret location in Spain on an in-depth
assignment driving and evaluating the X350 range that goes on sale in the
UK very soon. Now, Paul has kindly supplied Jag-lovers with an exclusive
review of his experiences with the new XJ saloons!

This review is also being posted to appropriate Jag-lovers Discussion
lists and Forums (membership or list subscription required) for your
comments.

==

>From Paul Skilleter. March 5 2003.

Having just returned from driving the new XJ in Seville, southern Spain, I
can now relate the car's advanced and exciting specification ­ released in
Jaguar's usual drip-by-drip way over the past year - to how it actually
performs on the road.

This isn't the first alloy-bodied Jaguar saloon I've driven: the first was
back in the 1970s when I got behind the wheel of the ex-Bob Berry Mk VII.
This Bob had fitted with a light alloy body which had been commissioned by
Jaguar for possible use on the works racing Mk VIIs in the mid-1950s, but
never used for such.

Anyway, the stock Mk VII was of course a landmark saloon as it was the
first Jaguar to have a bought out, fully-tooled pressed-steel body (quite
apart from the XK engine). Previous Jaguar bodies had been assembled
patchwork-quilt style at the factory. The next big break-through was when
the Mk X arrived in 1961 and the separate chassis frame was ditched in
favour of unit construction.

Is the latest Jaguar saloon equally significant? Yes, because the
ambitious adoption of all-alloy bodywork represents an equal leap forward
for Jaguar. It also points the way ahead - for future Jaguar models (the
replacement S- and X-TYPEs for example) and for other cars within the Ford
empire. So it's more important even that 'just' a new flagship Jaguar
saloon.

But so much for the theory: in Spain I could see how this advance works in
practice. Visually, the car is higher and bulkier than the outgoing X308,
and if you analyse the shape it has very different proportions from that
car (and therefore departs from the classic low-roof, long bonnet XJ
formula). But cleverly, the net result is still very Jaguar and graceful,
if in a slightly more assertive way. A return more towards the imperious
looks of the Mk IX, perhaps.

Any thoughts that the car's road behaviour would echo its heavier looks
are soon laid to rest, however. Just as we've been led to believe, this
new XJ is phenomenally nimble, more so than an S-TYPE - and it makes the
old 308 seem like a lumbering dinosaur. Much of the improvement comes from
the 60 per cent stiffer shell. The whole car moves as one now, so there is
none of that wriggle and twist feeling that occurs when you push the
old-style XJ8 hard over indifferent surfaces..

The ride qualities are better although the air suspension somehow gives a
different feedback. It is not exactly harsher, but there's a different
quality about it. As for handling, with a modern car of this nature the
terms oversteer and understeer hardly apply, because unless you're going
at a ridiculous rate for public roads, hardly any slip angles are
generated. The new XJ simply feels extremely well-balanced, with the XJR
of course having the greater grip courtesy of its wider rubber.

Surprise of the bunch for me was the 3.0 litre, as it gave a more than
adequate performance, thus breaking the dreary mould set by previous
small-engined XJs - be they 2.8, 2.9 or 3.2 (straight six and V8). It has
the all-important 'performance feel' lacking in these earlier cars, though
its progress is hastened by use of the J-gate. The 4.2 really flies and
the XJR and Super V9 offer extraordinary levels of acceleration. I
wouldn't want one of those - I'd loose my licence within four days.

The Super V8 is, by the way, a sort of non-crinkly grille Daimler,
although I'm told that if you ask your dealer nicely, you can order a new
XJ with Daimler grille and badging even though that illustrious marque is
not officially catalogued. In the USA, there will be the usual Vanden
Plas version.

It goes without saying that refinement is superb throughout the range,
just a little A-post wind noise being audible, but then usually only under
cross-winds. There is genuinely much more room in the rear, while the
range of adjustment available for the driver is vast - quite apart from
the seats and steering, the pedals can be adjusted for reach too, a first
for Jaguar. The trunk is huge - though still short of the room available
in a Mk X (I measured them both!).

If this short summary for Jag-lovers appears over-enthusiastic, I don't
apologise for it. This car is so much better than the old XJ series, and
if you don't want to take my word for it, some of the independent press is
rating the new XJ above the M-B S-Class in all round competence.

As far as I'm concerned, the new car has emulated what the original XJ6 of
1968 achieved (and which I witnessed at the time, as I was in on the
launch of that too): it sets genuine world standards in several key areas.

Only now, it won't fall to bits while doing so.

Paul Skilleter
Hampshire, England

==
This article is Copyright (c) 2003 Jag-lovers.Org and Paul Skilleter. All
rights reserved. Reproduction in full or in part prohibited without
obtaining individual prior permission

Submissions for approval to this list to: jag-news@jag-lovers.org.
Some items might be refused with no reason given
Please address replies to jag-news-discussion@jag-lovers.org
Got your Jag-lovers T-Shirt, mug, cap yet?
http://www.cafepress.com/jaglovers

Please help support the move to the new site, and DONATE what you can.
A big Thank You to those who have donated already!

Go to our Homepage
Improve your Jag-lovers experience with the Mozilla FireFox Browser!

  View the latest posts from our Forums via an RSS Feed!

©Jag-loversTM Ltd / JagWEBTM 1993 - 2024
All rights reserved. Jag-lovers is supported by JagWEBTM
For Terms of Use and General Rules see our Disclaimer
Use of the Jag-lovers logo or trademark name on sites other than Jag-lovers itself in a manner implying endorsement of commercial activities whatsoever is prohibited. Sections of this Web Site may publish members and visitors comments, opinion and photographs/images - Jag-lovers Ltd does not assume or have any responsibility or any liability for members comments or opinions, nor does it claim ownership or copyright of any material that belongs to the original poster including images. The word 'Jaguar' and the leaping cat device, whether used separately or in combination, are registered trademarks and are the property of Jaguar Cars, England. Some images may also be © Jaguar Cars. Mirroring or downloading of this site or the publication of material or any extracts therefrom in original or altered form from these pages onto other sites (including reproduction by any other Jaguar enthusiast sites) without express permission violates Jag-lovers Ltd copyright and is prohibited
Go to our Homepage
Your Browser is: Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com), IP Address logged as 18.191.211.66 on 26th Apr 2024 22:22:14