Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

[jag-news] [F1] Australian Grand Prix - Preview

[jag-news] [F1] Australian Grand Prix - Preview

With over 7500 kilometers of winter testing completed on the Jaguar R4
since 21st January, the team arrives in Melbourne this week to contest the
opening round of the 2003 FIA Formula One World Championship. Jaguar
Racing's new drivers, Australian Mark Webber (26) and Brazilian Antonio
Pizzonia (22), will be the first to hit the Albert Park track on Friday
morning as part of the new two hour testing format prior to the
traditional Free Practice session which follows immediately after.

For Mark, the excitement of his first ever race for Jaguar will be
complimented by the home support of his local fans while for Antonio, the
excitement will be just as great as he prepares for his first ever Formula
One race since joining the team from BMW WilliamsF1 where he was test
driver last year. The all-new Cosworth CR5-V10 engine ­ a revolutionary
design that boasts a 90-degree vee angle, will power the 2003 Jaguar R4
and in addition to the work undertaken with its partner, Michelin, the
team is looking forward to the race weekend, albeit with a fair degree of
uncertainty given the significant rule changes to the sport's format.

David Pitchforth - Managing Director
"The team has been working tirelessly in preparation for the season's
opening race. Two hours of testing on a Friday will provide the drivers
and team with a better understanding of track conditions and subsequently,
a better understanding of our setup options for the weekend ahead. Because
Antonio is unfamiliar with many of the race tracks on the calendar, the
decision to opt for the two hour Friday testing should prove invaluable
for his familiarity. During this time, we will also be working very
closely with our partner Michelin in an effort to fully understand the
potential of the tyres.

Probably the most unpredictable and in some ways the most nerve-racking,
part of the weekend is the one lap qualifying rule. This will put
tremendous pressure on everyone and none more so than the drivers. One
mistake will literally make or break the weekend but the excitement factor
will be something for everyone to really savour, I'm sure. Melbourne will
also mark the race debut of our all-new Cosworth CR5-V10 engine. Cosworth
Racing have pushed very hard on development over the winter but we have
yet to race the engine in anger ­ something I know both Antonio and Mark
are very much looking forward to. The winter testing tells us very little
about the competition we face and until we begin racing on Sunday
afternoon, it is impossible to make any predictions about our performance.
We still have issues and gremlins to address on the car and while we are
reasonably pleased with our progress thus far, we are far from completely
satisfied."

Antonio Pizzonia (22)
"I haven't been here long but I am thoroughly enjoying my time with Jaguar
Racing. It's been a long, hard and rewarding winter testing schedule and
while you always wish you had more preparation time, the fact is that we
have made some good progress, albeit with quite some way to go. Your first
race with a new team at a new circuit is always going to give you some
butterflies, but you use it to totally focus the mind.

"I will of course be taking advantage of the team's experience and working
closely with Mark will also be very beneficial for me. Mark knows this
circuit quite well and his performance here last year was exemplary. The
two hour Friday morning testing format will help accelerate my knowledge
of the circuit and the need to maximise upon this cannot be overstated
given the one lap qualifying session. Because teams have to start the race
on the same fuel load they end qualifying with, it will be very hard to
judge the true competitiveness of those around us until the race kicks in.
Excitement is something I don't think we'll be short of and combined with
the great support Jaguar has in Australia, I can't wait to take to the
track.

"Before arriving in Melbourne, we are spending a few days in Sydney
undertaking press and PR work for Jaguar and our partners HSBC and Becks.
Having never been to Australia before, I must say that I'm very impressed
with the culture, colour and vibrancy of the place. The people are very
welcoming and having bumped into quite a few race fans already, the
enthusiasm towards their home race is very clear indeed and we will be
doing our best to put on a good show for Jaguar and all Formula One fans
alike."

Mark Webber (26)
"With a new team, new car, new rules and home support, it is difficult to
explain my excitement going into the 2003 Australian Grand Prix. I arrived
back into Australia last Friday after completing a test session at
Silverstone (UK) and was whisked straight off to the Melbourne motorshow
where Antonio and I unveiled the all-new Jaguar XJR to the local media.
>From there, I went back home to Queanbeyan for a few days and arrived in
Sydney today for what will inevitably be a very busy few days undertaking
sponsor and PR engagements.

"From Thursday, however, our minds will be firmly focused on Albert Park.
Many weeks of testing and development work will be put to the test and our
first impressions will be generated on Friday morning from the two hour
testing opportunity. We will use these two hours to work on setup,
balance, tyres and understanding fully the track conditions around Albert
Park ­ weather permitting, of course! Given the somewhat unpredictable
variables that have been generated by the new rules, it will be impossible
to predict the potential of our competitors and having the two extra hours
under our belt will hopefully strengthen our preparation going into race
day.

"The weather in Melbourne hasn't been anywhere near as hot as in
previous years and changes in the climate will make a significant impact
on everyone's performance. All in all, my home race promises to be
exciting and, given the home support around me, I will be aiming to put on
the best show I can for both my team and those fans that helped carry me
to fifth place last year."

Submissions for approval to this list to: jag-news@jag-lovers.org.
Some items might be refused with no reason given
Please address replies to jag-news-discussion@jag-lovers.org
Got your Jag-lovers T-Shirt, mug, cap yet?
http://www.cafepress.com/jaglovers

Please help support the move to the new site, and DONATE what you can.
A big Thank You to those who have donated already!

Go to our Homepage
Improve your Jag-lovers experience with the Mozilla FireFox Browser!

  View the latest posts from our Forums via an RSS Feed!

©Jag-loversTM Ltd / JagWEBTM 1993 - 2024
All rights reserved. Jag-lovers is supported by JagWEBTM
For Terms of Use and General Rules see our Disclaimer
Use of the Jag-lovers logo or trademark name on sites other than Jag-lovers itself in a manner implying endorsement of commercial activities whatsoever is prohibited. Sections of this Web Site may publish members and visitors comments, opinion and photographs/images - Jag-lovers Ltd does not assume or have any responsibility or any liability for members comments or opinions, nor does it claim ownership or copyright of any material that belongs to the original poster including images. The word 'Jaguar' and the leaping cat device, whether used separately or in combination, are registered trademarks and are the property of Jaguar Cars, England. Some images may also be © Jaguar Cars. Mirroring or downloading of this site or the publication of material or any extracts therefrom in original or altered form from these pages onto other sites (including reproduction by any other Jaguar enthusiast sites) without express permission violates Jag-lovers Ltd copyright and is prohibited
Go to our Homepage
Your Browser is: Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com), IP Address logged as 18.119.105.239 on 7th May 2024 10:40:19