Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

Re: XJ6 Timing Chain Cover Corrosion

Re: XJ6 Timing Chain Cover Corrosion

>His problem was this: the car had sat unused for some time.  While sitting,
>apparently the coolant (water?) within the water pump had corroded through
>the timing chain cover, and was leaking into the crankcase.  Finding water in
>the oil, he took the standard action and replaced the head gasket -- no help.
> Took further looking before he found the real problem.

Mixing oil and water via the head gasket is anything but standard on
a XK motor.

>So, let's talk it up!  Is there a problem there?  Yet another penalty for not
>using the proper antifreeze mix?

Pitting is quite common. Perforation does happen, but it is fairly rare.
As a matter of course, I weld up all the pits during an XK engine build.
On the last one, I stuck a screwdriver right through the cover... that
thin.
 Also did one on an E-type last week. Towed in for mixing water in the
oil. Snatched the timing cover out, welded it up, and remachined it. This
one did not perf the waterpump pocket, it went through at the indention
at the block mating surface.

And, yes, the cause is worn out antifreeze.

>He also says you've gotta pull the head to replace this cover.  All of this
>has him contemplating the lump.

He can pull the head if he wants, but it is not necessary. The pan has
to come off, due to the fully trapped front crank seal. The studs at the
head/cover joint need to be removed. the cover will then come out. Use
lots of silicone at the head joint when putting it back in. This is partially
to seal the "pre-crushed" head gasket, and partially to act as a lube since
you need to slide along the gasket as you pick up the dowel pins.

But, why not just have the cover welded up in place? The exact dimensions
in this area are not critical... weld it in and grind out the excess
with a carbide bit.

> -- Kirbert      |     If anything is to be accomplished,
>                 |     some rules must be broken.
>                 |          - Palm's Postulate

   Randy K. Wilson
     randy@taylor.infi.net