Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

Re:BW66s

Re:BW66s

Jim Legge wrote:

"Hello Jaggers,     I saw the following post from Tom Graham, and  being a
fellow BW66          trannie owner (SIII XJ6) and about to  do a filter/fluid
change, I         noticed the mention of using  Type F fluid.  My manual just
says         Duckhams or type 'G'  neither of which I can find.  I just wanted
       to get an  opinion on what the best fluid to use is when the
criteria  for choice is longevity.  I'm getting a little nervous
reading the horror stories about BW66s.  Mine has 93K miles on           it
and stills seems to work fine (and smooth :) ).  TIA          Jim Legge "

FWIW, the following was in the Technical Correspondence Section of Road & Track
magazine in 1990.  I quote:

". . . As the editor of Automatic Transmission and Transaxles, 2nd Edition,
an automotive textbook published by Chek-Chart, I have thoroughly researched
automatic transmission fluid types and applications.  I would like to make
the following points concerning your reader's letter and the response from
Doctor Jaguar.

"There are currently two forms of DEXRON fluid available: DEXRON-B, the original
version, and DEXRON-IID, the latest version.  Although it is
difficult to find in the retail market today, DEXRON-B fluid remains a
distinct product from DEXRON-IID, and the earlier formulation is still
recommended by some vehicle manufacturers.

"Like most people, the reader assumes that DEXRON-B is superseded by DEXRON-IID
fluid.  Although this is true in the case of General Motors passenger-car
transmissions (such as the Turbo Hydramatic 400 transmission used in some
Jaguars), it is not true in all applications.  As an aside, DEXRON-IID fluid is
also recommended in the ZF automatics used in Jaguar
cars.

"I have never heard of a Type E transmission fluid that predates Type F.
However, Type G fluid definitely exists and was introduced in 1972 by Ford of
Europe.  This fluid has improved high-temperature stability to cope with
European high-speed driving conditions.  Type G fluid is typically unavailable
in the U.S., and manufacturers who use it as factory fill (Saab and Jaguar,
for example) generally recommend Type F fluid for top-up or replacement in
this country.

"The short answer to the question of whether DEXRON fluids can cause accelerated
wear in transmissions designed for Type F/G fluid is yes.
Despite claims to the contrary by oil companies that sell "universal"
transmission fluids, DEXRON and Type F/G fluids are fundamentally opposite in
their frictional properties.  Only Type F/G fluid should be used in
transmissions designed for it (such as the Borg-Warner automatics used in
some Jaguar cars).

 					Signed,	  Michael T. Calkins"

This was enough to convince me to use Type F in my '87 XJ6.  I also checked my
old Saab Club newsletters and found similar references to the use of Type
F in place of the specified Type G.  I'm just passing on what I read in Road &
Track.  I hope it helps.

They give the number of 800-622-6277 for Chek-Chart as a source of the book
cited, but don't forget, this is a 6 or 7 year old article.

Tom [05-Feb-97,16:05]

Please help support the move to the new site, and DONATE what you can.
A big Thank You to those who have donated already!

Go to our Homepage
Improve your Jag-lovers experience with the Mozilla FireFox Browser!

  View the latest posts from our Forums via an RSS Feed!

©Jag-loversTM Ltd / JagWEBTM 1993 - 2024
All rights reserved. Jag-lovers is supported by JagWEBTM
For Terms of Use and General Rules see our Disclaimer
Use of the Jag-lovers logo or trademark name on sites other than Jag-lovers itself in a manner implying endorsement of commercial activities whatsoever is prohibited. Sections of this Web Site may publish members and visitors comments, opinion and photographs/images - Jag-lovers Ltd does not assume or have any responsibility or any liability for members comments or opinions, nor does it claim ownership or copyright of any material that belongs to the original poster including images. The word 'Jaguar' and the leaping cat device, whether used separately or in combination, are registered trademarks and are the property of Jaguar Cars, England. Some images may also be © Jaguar Cars. Mirroring or downloading of this site or the publication of material or any extracts therefrom in original or altered form from these pages onto other sites (including reproduction by any other Jaguar enthusiast sites) without express permission violates Jag-lovers Ltd copyright and is prohibited
Go to our Homepage
Your Browser is: Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com), IP Address logged as 18.191.218.130 on 21st May 2024 11:03:47