The largest and best supported Jaguar cars enthusiast site on the Internet!


Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members





The post-war saloons

The post-war saloons (part 2)


The Mark V
- 1949-51


jpeg image

Mark V Saloon

Produced 1948-51 as a 4 dr. saloon and a 2 dr. Drop Head Coupe with the same 2.5 and 3.5 engines as the previous model.
The Mark V is sort of a first and last car. It is the first new post-war body design, first use of pushbutton door handles (saloon) and standard sealed beam headlights (U.S. spec), first with independent front suspension and hydraulic brakes, and the last to use the pushrod engines. It is the only model to have the biplane bumpers, so called because they look like the leading edge of the wings of a biplane. These bumpers are made of seven chromed pieces each, plus supporting steel bars and top covering aprons. Saloon: The front doors are hinged at the rear but the rear doors are hinged at the front. The exterior door handles are the push button type and are in line with the chrome trim.
Drop-Head Coupe: The top is a three-position like the previous models. The doors are wood framed. The exterior door handles are the umbrella handle type.
The headlights are standard 7 inch sealed beam units for America, or 7.7 inch flat lens tribar units for all other countries. The headlight pods are welded to the front fenders and filled in with lead. Almost all Mark V's have a pair of chromed fog lights also mounted to the front fenders, lower and closer together than the headlights. The horns are not visible. The bootlid is hinged at the bottom, and the toolkit is in the bootlid. The spare tire is in a separate compartment below the center section of the rear bumper. The tires are 16" rim diameter with steel disc wheels painted body color and fender skirts (spats) on the rear being standard equipment.


The Mark VII
- 1950-57

jpeg image

Mark VII - the first saloon car to use the XK-engine

The Jaguar MKVII was introduced october 1950.
The MKVII was the first post-war saloon. A very outstanding feature is the splitted front window. The chassis and gearbox are the same as in the MKV, but a number of changes were made, such as servo brakes and different shockabsorbers. It was the first post-war saloon that became famous all over the world. It has a wheelbase of 10ft, overall length of 16ft 4.5 inch and a width of 6ft 1.
The MKVII is the first car with the 3,4 XK engine:
3442 cc, 160bhp at 5200 rpm,
compression 8:1 (or optional 7:1)
manual or borg warner gearbox.
Performance: 0-60 mph 13.7 secs
max speed 101 mph
A total of 20939 MKVII were built (12755 rhd and 8184 lhd)

The Mark VIIM
- 1950-57

jpeg image

The Mark VIIM

In september 1954 the MKVII M was introduced. It had a lot of improvements/changes compared with the MKVII. At the outside the front was changed, the inset fog lamps had been moved to outboard positions on the bumper, flashing indicators on the front wings, and horn grilles replaced the fog lamps. The bumpers where also changed. There were some minor changes inside such as the flatt steering wheel knob ?????? The engine was also modified: 190 bhp at 5500rpm, the gearbox ratio's were different. One could choose between a manual gearbox, a borg warner automatic and a Laycock de Normanville overdrive.
Performance: 0-60 mph 14.3 secs
max speed 104 mph
A total of 9261 MKVII M were built (7245 rhd and 2016 lhd)

The Mark VIII
- 1950-57


jpeg image

The Mark IX

October 1956 the MK VIII was introduced.
The car had been modernised. A chrome beading along the side was added, the radiator grille was different and a leaping cat was fitted, and the divided windscreen was replaced by a full width screen (a bit curved) The car had a (optional) two tone paint finish. The opening roof was standard. Inside ashtrays were fitted in the door panels and cigarette-lighters in the door-pillars. Picknick tables and a magazine rack were added. The engine was also modified: A "B" type head was fitted. This head has bigger valves. The power rating was the same as the MKVII M, but a much better performance. Most MKVIII were fitted with the Borg Warner automatic gearbox.
Performance: 0-60 mph 11,3 secs
max speed 106 mph
A total of 6332 MKVIII were built (4644 rhd and 1688 lhd)

The Mark IX
- 1950-57


jpeg image

The Mark IX

In october 1958 the MKIX was presented to the public.
The MKIX looks exactly the same as the MKVIII apart from the badges on the bootlid, but the MKIX has a number of significant changes. It was the first Jaguar saloon with (standard) dunlop disc-brakes (4), and power steering. It was also the first production car with the 3.8 xk engine.
3781 cc, 220bhp at 5500 rpm,
compression 8:1 (or optional 7:1)
manual or borg warner gearbox.
Performance: 0-60 mph 11.3 secs
max speed 114 mph
A total of 10005 MKIX were built (5984 rhd and 4021 lhd)

In november 1960 the last MKIX was built, ut the British Ministry of defence orderd an other 27 cars. Most of them had a separation window. Those cars are known as the MKVIII B.

(Text about MKVII/MKVIIM/MKVIII/MKIX by Aldert Bruinsma (afbruins@xs4all.nl)

Part 3

Back to top
Back to Saloon Lovers

 

Please help support the move to the new site, and DONATE what you can.
A big Thank You to those who have donated already!

 


       
       
       
       

Go to our Homepage
Improve your Jag-lovers experience with the Mozilla FireFox Browser!

  View the latest posts from our Forums via an RSS Feed!

Jag-loversTM Ltd / JagWEBTM 1993 - 2017
All rights reserved. Jag-lovers is supported by JagWEBTM
For Terms of Use and General Rules see our Disclaimer
Use of the Jag-lovers logo or trademark name on sites other than Jag-lovers itself in a manner implying endorsement of commercial activities whatsoever is prohibited. Sections of this Web Site may publish members and visitors comments, opinion and photographs/images - Jag-lovers Ltd does not assume or have any responsibility or any liability for members comments or opinions, nor does it claim ownership or copyright of any material that belongs to the original poster including images. The word 'Jaguar' and the leaping cat device, whether used separately or in combination, are registered trademarks and are the property of Jaguar Cars, England. Some images may also be Jaguar Cars. Mirroring or downloading of this site or the publication of material or any extracts therefrom in original or altered form from these pages onto other sites (including reproduction by any other Jaguar enthusiast sites) without express permission violates Jag-lovers Ltd copyright and is prohibited
Go to our Homepage
Your Browser is: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/), IP Address logged as 54.162.154.91 on 19th Oct 2017 12:27:44