Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

Re: [xj-s] Advance & retard spring (long & definitive)

Re: [xj-s] Advance & retard spring (long & definitive)

> From:          "Lee Opausky" <Opausky@netcom.ca>
>
> John,  thank you for clarifying again the function of the "heavier spring"
> in digest #204.
> The reason, I believe, that this gets posted again and again, is that we
> have no way to tell if this spring is stretched - just a little or
> completely.

OK, here's one number for you:  I now have one of these springs in
hand, and the critical dimension -- between the inside contact points
of the outermost point on each loop in an unstretched condition -- is
.734" (18.65mm).  Of course, I have no good way to determine if this
particular spring is stretched; it is definitely not new.  But those
of you who measure springs LONGER than this one can probably conclude
that yours are stretched out of spec.

I also have identified the reason we think this spring might be
stretched: our futile efforts towards getting the star wheel off!  On
this distributor, the nylon clip in the center of the rotor was
sheared and the inner half still in place, so it was probably apart
before but nothing was providing any retention now.  So, if you just
pull up on the star wheel (after removing the C-clip, wavy washer and
U-clip) the whole rotor rises with it, and the springs on the
centrifugal mechanism are the only things preventing it from rising
farther.  If heavy pulling is applied, the spring is likely to get
stretched.  If the nylon retainer ISN'T broken to begin with, then
it'll probably break WHILE you're tugging at the star wheel, causing
a suddenly-applied stretch to that spring.

Here's the method I used to get the star wheel off.  I used a claw
hammer, with the claw itself under the star wheel and the head
sitting on the rim of the distributor housing.  However, I didn't
pull here; I only used the claw hammer to HOLD the star wheel (and
the rotor) a little above its rest position.  Then I used a small
tacking hammer to tap the shaft downward.  This worked well enough
until the star wheel was high enough to be flush with the end of the
shaft.  At that point I carefully selected a small socket with an OD
slightly smaller than the shaft and set it on top and continued
tapping.

This worked well, and did no discernable damage to anything.  Would I
have tried it if it were my OWN distributor I was beating on with a
hammer?  Actually, probably, although I probably would have tapped
more gently.  It definitely appeared about the most gentle way I
could think of to get that star wheel off.  I could imagine some sort
of puller could work even better, but I didn't have one that could
fit between the star wheel and the pickup structure.

> There is no quantitative measurement, nor a reliable
> descriptive explanation as to when ( at what portion of the total available
> travel on the rotor carrier shaft) this spring should start to stretch !

I don't have a quantifiable measurement, but on this distributor (the
one that was sent to me by NE Classics for analysis) it's pretty
obvious that the heavy spring is involved in the last few degrees of
advance.  For those with their distributors apart and trying to see
this, I'd suggest that you try to move the advance by manipulating
the weights, not by turning the rotor carrier.

> Having carefully followed the postings on this in the last few months, I
> know that several of us have a rotor carrier shaft which comes to rest
> against the "thinghy" ( plastic thrust washer at the bottom of the rotor
> carrier shaft) BEFORE the heavier spring would stretch. If the plastic
> thinghy is the ultimate stopper for the total available travel for the
> rotor carrier shaft, then the heavy spring in these distributors do not
> "come into play" at higher revs at all, making the whole engine proned to
> overheating and mech breakdown at more spirited speeds.

Nononono -- the "thingy" is the stop at the IDLE end of the travel;
it has no effect on the MAXIMUM advance, which is where the heavy
spring is involved.

This is the first time I have actually seen an intact thingy.
Interesting little device, actually.  I have now studied it quite
closely, and have confirmed that the purposes suggested in my book --
mostly gleaned from others' descriptions and observations -- were
completely correct.  It serves exactly two purposes:

1)  It's a thrust washer holding the rotor carrier shaft off the
surface of the pivot plate on the distributor shaft.

2)  It's an inner (idle) stop for the centrifugal weights.

And I will stand by my original analysis: if this part is replaced
with a suitable flat thrust washer (serving purpose #1) the car will
run just fine.  It may not read the same on static timing and there
may be a touch more noise from the distributor at idle, but since the
timing on this car is set at 3000 rpm it won't make any difference at
all above 900 rpm -- and the slight amount of additional retardation
at idle may actually help pass emissions tests.

The suitable flat washer is more particular than I remembered,
however, and I will be defining it more closely in the book.  The OD
is critical.  In fact, I now am a little nervous about just what the
hell I used in my own distributor years ago, and may take it back
apart to see if I did it right.

I have also noted that it's entirely too easy to install the thingy
(if you have one) incorrectly.  It has a pair of pins, and they are
positioned immediately CCW of the wings on the cam plate, as viewed
from below looking up (none of that will make a damn bit of sense to
those of you who haven't stared at these parts!).  Offhand, it looks
kinda like the pins should go immediately CW of those wings, and in
fact the thingy can be forced on in that position, but it's not
correct.

> I therefore fully understand why subscribers are inquiring for sources for
> replacement springs (no such thing), or at the risk of appearing $ cheap
> wanting to repair them (shorten the spring somehow)...

I'm betting it ain't possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if a
substitute might be found.  If the unstretched overall length is
correct, the advance curve will be correct up to the point where the
heavy spring engages.  If the spring rate is the same, the curve will
be correct the rest of the way to the stop.  If the spring rate is
NOT the same, the slope of the advance curve will be slightly steeper
or shallower from that point to the stop -- which probably means the
advance might be off by a coupla degrees between 3000 and 4000 rpm
and correct everywhere else.  Better than nothing, and probably close
enough for government work.

This is a REALLY massive spring, more so than I remembered.  I'm
gonna document everything about it that I can before reassembling
this distributor and returning it to NEC.

> or just putting off
> the whole ( rather important thing as per Kirbert's book) overhaul of the
> distributor.

Heavens!  Don't do that!  Better to CAREFULLY disassemble the
distributor using the claw hammer method described above, making sure
not to stretch the springs during disassembly.  There is no way in
hell these springs can get stretched out of shape in operation; the
physical stop is encountered long before a significant amount of
stress is applied to the advance.

> Can you complete your otherwise excellent comments to this effect?

Workin' on it.

> Not to muddy the issue, but I am beginning to believe that these heavy
> springs may not be stretched at all : too many ineffective heavy springs
> reported in relatively low mi cars and NO stretched or loose primary (light
> gauge) springs reported at all.

I believe this is entirely due to people turning the rotor carrier
and watching the springs.  It simply won't move the heavy spring when
you do this, but moving the weights themselves will show how the
advance actually works.

> Should not the lighter gauge steel show
> signs of fatigue first?

It's even less likely that the lighter spring would get stretched out
of shape.  Since it is thinner wire and a lot more loops, it can get
stretched a LONG ways without threat of distortion.  Neither can get
distorted in operation, and during disassembly if you pull hard
enough to damage the light spring, the heavy spring is LONG gone.

BTW, I reported that the centrifugal advance on this unit was seized,
but apparently it wasn't.  The rotor carrier shaft was not seized to
the distributor shaft, probably because NEC had loosened it up and
had sheared the nylon retainer in the process.  But the centrifugal
weights were totally unlubricated, and the cam mechanism by which
they move the rotor carrier shaft had enough friction in it that it
could not be moved by turning the rotor from above.  It's entirely
possible that it would move more or less correctly when running; the
weights turn the rotor carrier MUCH more easily and effectively than
the other way around.

As a practice exercise, I will be reassembling this unit properly,
including lubing the cam plate and the weight pivots, and I'll see
how it moves then.

 -- Kirbert      |     If anything is to be accomplished,