Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

Re: Yet another XK8 sighting report

Re: Yet another XK8 sighting report

> From:          Stefan Schulz <jaguar@suaviter.demon.co.uk>
> They just go after the biggest market share, like everyone else.  From a
> purely financial standpoint there's nothing wrong with that.  Most of the
> cars they're competing against with the XK8 have V8's as well, V8 is what
> the buying public wants, so it gets it.

Actually, I have no problem with the V8.  Lyons didn't like V8's, but his
objections were apparently based on the difficulties with carburetor setups.
Since EFI came along, those objections are gone.

The only problem I have with the engine is that it is far too small.  You can
get 4-litre V8's of comparable quality and performance from Ford, Lexus, you
name it -- and for less money.  A large part of the reason the Jag V12 was
developed was because the 4.2 litre six was too small; the wisdom of the
decision has been made apparent over and over, winning LeMans as late as the
late 80's, and BMW and Mercedes both introducing big V8's and V12's much more
recently.  The 4-litre V8 is just another reason the XK8 appears to be just
another in a large pack of similar offerings rather than the outstanding
vehicle that Jaguar has a history of introducing.  If I had been making the
decision, that engine would have been at LEAST 6 litre, possibly 7 or more.

>  Ditto the Mazda-Miata-on-steroids
> body design.

Lyons himself was apparently a primary influence on Jaguar body style up
through the XJ-S.  While one may be tempted to think that such artistic
talent is fairly common (who among us wasn't doodling car designs as a kid?),
it is only too apparent that such genius is rare indeed.  The XK8 looks to me
more like it was designed by a committee.

> Pity is that the same kind of thinking also leads to general shallowness of
> product.  When was the last time you drank a good mass-produced beer ?

Appealing to the mass market has always been a mistake, IMHO.  If you aim for
the same 90% of the market that 100 other car makes are aimed at, you can
only reasonably expect to get 1% of that 90%.  If, however, you aim at the
10% that everyone else is ignoring, you might sell a LOT more cars.  Needless
to say, I am at a loss to explain why Honda cancelled the CRX.

Even better, though, is the idea of building a great car and letting the
market come to YOU.  Again, if I were in charge of a car company, I would
fire the entire market research department, they are a complete waste.  I
would build the car _I_ think needs to be built, and satisfy myself with
whatever customers that brings.  I am confident that this is what Lyons did,
and you can probably look at several other greats in the automotive industry
as well -- Iococca building the Mustang for one.  In fact, I wonder just how
many truly great automobiles have come about as a result of "market
research".

 -- Kirbert      |     If anything is to be accomplished,