Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

Was Hood scoops on XJS -- Now Suspension & Colour

Was Hood scoops on XJS -- Now Suspension & Colour

Mike,

Martin Fooks wrote:
>> The modifications to the suspension were not that major
>> and comprised of Spax adjustable shock-absorbers all round
>> (I kept the lower springs which a PO had already fitted

Mike Cogswel answered:
> How do you like the shocks?  My XJ-S needs new ones, and I haven't
> decided what I'm going to use yet.  Do you know what springs were
> used?

The new ride is much improved, although I have to add that the shocks are
adjusted as soft as they will go and the ride is still far firmer than my
old units (not really surprising as the old units were worn out!).  As for
the springs, I have no idea and judging from what the PO managed to use as
replacement parts on the rest of the car, they could be from anything.

Martin Fooks wrote:
>> I have attached a picture, which doesn't show much but
>> at least gives an idea of how it looks.

Mike Cogswel answered:
> It looks great.  What year and color?  My '88 is Grenidier Red
> with gray leather.

The car is originally from 1981 and was White with, as far
as we could make out, a Tan interior, but when I bought it
about 4 years ago it was Black with a Black interior and
various HE bits (computer, etc.).

The bits of newspaper that I found holding the bodywork
together seem to suggest that a PO had bodged it up
sometime after February 1991.  Some areas needed more
strength than normal British newspaper could supply, so the
Previous Owner/Bodger (Hereafter referred to as the POB)
cut bits of steel to a rough shape for the hole in question
and held the unpainted metal in the hole with bondo.

Sorry to stray from the question but I thought that it
would give some idea of my insanity taking on such a badly
POBd example, as the paintwork I have on the car now could
only be put onto a straight, good condition base (New
panels on most of the car, with the exception of the hood,
roof and some of the inner panels).

The car is Candy Cherry Red which is graduated in shade
from light on the roof to dark Burgundy in the sills.  The
paint was applied in 26 coats (the majority of these being
first red, then clear lacquer) with the colour graduation
achieved by laying the coats of lacquer over 6 different
base colours (the colour under the rear-view mirrors is
green and I think the roof may be silver for example).  The
shine is so deep that it shows any imperfections in the
bodywork, which is why they would not do it on any old body
panels.  The interior was completely changed at the same
time to White Conoly (spelling?) hide with Red piping
around the seats etc.  The dashboard was also re-covered in
white leather and there is a new custom fabricated
instrument cowl in the middle of the dashboard which houses
the alarm configuration sliders, switches and buttons.

The car is by no means a trailer queen, but the cost of a
respray does mean that I try to keep it inside and off the
roads during our lovely winter weather (salt etc.).

Martin

Please help support the move to the new site, and DONATE what you can.
A big Thank You to those who have donated already!

Go to our Homepage
Improve your Jag-lovers experience with the Mozilla FireFox Browser!

  View the latest posts from our Forums via an RSS Feed!

©Jag-loversTM Ltd / JagWEBTM 1993 - 2024
All rights reserved. Jag-lovers is supported by JagWEBTM
For Terms of Use and General Rules see our Disclaimer
Use of the Jag-lovers logo or trademark name on sites other than Jag-lovers itself in a manner implying endorsement of commercial activities whatsoever is prohibited. Sections of this Web Site may publish members and visitors comments, opinion and photographs/images - Jag-lovers Ltd does not assume or have any responsibility or any liability for members comments or opinions, nor does it claim ownership or copyright of any material that belongs to the original poster including images. The word 'Jaguar' and the leaping cat device, whether used separately or in combination, are registered trademarks and are the property of Jaguar Cars, England. Some images may also be © Jaguar Cars. Mirroring or downloading of this site or the publication of material or any extracts therefrom in original or altered form from these pages onto other sites (including reproduction by any other Jaguar enthusiast sites) without express permission violates Jag-lovers Ltd copyright and is prohibited
Go to our Homepage
Your Browser is: Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com), IP Address logged as 3.145.35.178 on 21st May 2024 22:01:14