Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

Re: engine compartment heat

Re: engine compartment heat

> Duh.  What does this have to do with the discussion?
 Well at standstill - no pressure difference, no forced airflow,
convection only. (OK there are very slight pressures involved due to
air density differences)

> > A greater than 1 atmosphere pressure drop will occur due to the
> > front grill acting like a scoop where the pressure is higher than
> > 1 atmosphere, i.e. the front of the car.
>
> Man, you really need to start over!

If the pressure is not higher at the front of the car no air will
flow under the bonnet. Maybe I tried to make it too simple? The front
of the car is EXACTLY a 'scoop'.

> Perhaps, then, you should consider what is really going on.  The air
> entering the front of a moving car is brought to an effective
> standstill

Standstill!?!? The cooling is effected less by the speed of air flow than
the mass flow rate (it is the mass of air that absorbs the heat) which MUST
 be the same in and out. The only way the air can come to a standstill is if
the pressure is the same as on the outside! It can slow down due to an
increase in pressure and associated increase in density...... and it starts to
 get too bloody complicated to work out and guess at in this way.

> within the engine compartment -- IOW, the pressure within
> the engine compartment is closer to the TOTAL pressure of the
> airstream, not the static.  It's therefore a slightly raised
> pressure (t/s at mach 0.1 is not real impressive), which is what
> forces air OUT of properly designed hood louvers.
>
> If NACA scoops are added, the airflow into the engine compartment
> will improve, while there is no improvement in outflow, so the
> pressure within the engine compartment will increase.

This increase in pressure therefore increases the outflow. If the
air entering the front of the car produces a 'not real impressive'
pressure increase (negligible?) then what effect will a couple of
relatively low frontal area scoops make?

>  The increased
> pressure over the underside surface of the hood will cause a
> considerable lift -- the pressure differential is low, but the
> surface area is a LOT of square inches.  It will also cause a
> decrease in the flow through the radiator -- the flow through the
> radiator being a function of delta p across it.

Erm 1% increase in pressure will still only translate to a 1%
increase in lift.
 True(?) Might be cause for concern in very hot climates. Not here
though were cooling systems have a much easier time.

> OTOH, proper louvers will improve flow OUT of the engine
> compartment.  The result will be a reduction in pressure in the
> engine compartment -- resulting in reduced front end lift, and
> increased flow through the radiator.
>
> As described before, either opening -- or any other opening, for
> that matter -- will help things when the car has been parked hot.
>
> > ( I got a 2:1)
>
> What's that?
 A degree with upper second class honours. (Average of 80-90% for all exams and
practical projects during an extra year over an ordinary degree.)

> >Go to the library and get a book before you claim to be an expert.
>
> This is far and away one of the stupidest concepts common to modern
> society -- that a person must have a shitload of credentials in
> order to be considered correct.  What is correct is what is correct,
> it doesn't matter who says it!  And what is wrong is simply wrong,
> regardless of the source.

 Due you mean credentials or qualifications. Credentials are pretty
important. Qualifications less so. Wouldn't you give more credence to
a lifetime Jag R&d man than a back street 'Fix-em-All' mechanic with
no apprenticeship?
Anyway books aren't credentials or qualifications they are just bits
of paper with the correct facts written on them.

> I have described the factors involved in hood openings above, and
> you'll note the issue of ambient atmospheric pressure never came
> into it.
It did you just never used those words by using atmospheric press as
your reference, without stating it.

> I'll grant that it is an issue -- none of this would be
> important on the moon -- but the whole concept of inflow vs. outflow
> doesn't depend on what atmospheric pressure is.

Not overall because it's added and then subtracted again later on.
But absolute zero pressure gives and undisputable reference point.
You have simply used atmospheric pressure, a variable, as your
reference.

> > If you were you'd appreciate little things
> > like bonnet angle will create a downforce which will counter act,
> > and may over-ride, any upward force created by air escaping
> > underneath.
>
> So?  Regardless of what the CURRENT front-end lift situation is,
> adding hood scoops will increase the lift/decrease the downforce.
> If there is some concern that we are getting TOO MUCH downforce on
> the front, maybe we'd consider hood scoops.

Granted it will increase it, I would say insignificantly. The air
which flows in the small air scoop area has a vast area to escape
from. Therefore it requires very little extra pressure to force this
air out. All thats being done is the frontal area is increased
slighty. The fact that part of this frontal area has been moved
backwards slightly has no bearing on air flow amounts just where it
flows.
 If your concerned about the added frontal area, block off the
gaps around the outside of your radiator to compensate, then the
overall effect is simply to move a part of the inlet to somewhere
else, therefore no increased inflow.

> Here's a plan for you:  Go take the front spoiler off your car --
> it's only a few screws.  The effect is fairly similar to what we're
> discussing.  The car handles NOTICEABLY worse, especially at high
> speed.  You also may develop overheating problems, due to reduced
> airflow through the radiator at speed.

The effect is similar but on a vastly greater scale. I doubt I'll
have heating problems, it's snowing!!

> Fortunately, the XJ-S fuel tank is fairly centrally located, and
> therefore has little effect on handling balance.  Being an engineer,
> you should also recognize that adding weight to a car adds to both
> the traction available and to the lateral cornering forces; since
> both are nearly linear, they almost cancel each other, making the
> handling of a car more affected by changes in suspension geometry
> due to lower ride height than by the actual weight difference
> itself.

I wasn't implying the weight itself was the problem, but that, like
you say, suspension geometry changes and the fact that if you corner
hard enough your 20 gals will be on one side of the car.

> > Fluid flow is an extremely complex subject not easily understood
> > by the layman. Perhaps I should keep my informed opinions to
> > myself in future.
>
> Get them informed, first!
>
> > If I find the time (which I doubt) I could try modelling it on the
> > finite element analysis fluid flow modeller in the lab then we
> > would now for sure.
>
> Another stupid concept common to modern society -- you need a
> computer analysis to know what's going on!  Absolute BS -- if you
> improve the airflow into the engine compartment without improving
> the airflow out, you're gonna increase lift.  If your finite element
> analysis shows otherwise, it is wrong.

If you improve the airflow in without improving the airflow out,
pretty soon you'll have a large bang and bits of shiny Jag flying
everywhere. :-)
You don't need computer analysis to show what's happening. A breezy
alley and a fat cigar will do a reasonable job. (Maybe) All computers
do is what humans have been doing for years, only faster. They are
therefore usually used to do more complex analysis. Are you a
technophobe?
I dare say for this type of non-critical problem, wind tunnels and
smoke would be used.

> > In summary scoops and outlets will BOTH work. Which you use
> > isprobably less important than the correct positioning of them.
>
> Wrong, wrong, wrong.
Right, right, right. You've agreed above they both work to some
degree ( but you say scoops will have an adverse effect on the
handling.)
But wouldn't it actually be best to have scoops to force air into the
top of the engine compartment and vents to let it out again at the
back? Or even remove the bonnet altogether? It's a nice enough looking
engine.

> > Incidently is there anyone on this list who ever worked for Jaguar
> > designing their cars who could tell us any design secrets?
>
> We have one member who works at Jaguar, but on the assembly line,
> not in the design department.  We also have one guy that works in
> design, but at Ford, not Jaguar.
 That's a shame. I noticed someone alse mentioned it would be nice if
Jaguar would back up this list with official replies.

Now that I've worked through the incorrect terms and figured out what
I think your trying to say I feel you've fallen into the old trap of
doing the right things for the wrong reasons.
I'm wondering if some of the disagreements in the basic discussion
here aren't due more to misunderstanding/ not clear enough wording?

I don't have an XJ-S handy. What would the increase in frontal
opening be by adding scoops. From this we could start producing a few
numbers and see how well our theories match up. I am interested in
finding proper answers and reasons rather than gut reaction ones.
After all like you said increased airflow in => greater pressures =>
lower airflow. Where do they balance out? and numerous other
ponderables........

OK
This system is a fairly complex shape but is directly analogous to a
nozzle. For flow, but not cooling effects, laminar and turbulent flow
are insignificant, supersonic conditions irrelevant.

Consider a stream of fluid at:
pressure  p1
enthalpy  h1
velocity  c1
Assuming heat loss negligible i.e. adiabatic flow, Q=0
assuming no done on or by the fluid, W=0

>From the first law of thermodynamice we develop the steady flow
energy equation between the inlet section and any other section
where:
pressure  p2
enthalpy  h2
velocity  c2
we have:

h1 + (c1^2)/2  =  (h2 + c2^2)/2

enthalpy h=u + pv
where u= internal energy of fluid
           p= pressure of fluid
           v= volume of fluid

The procedure will be effectively isentropic, i.e. entropy
doesn't change. and for an ideal gas, which air will be under these
conditions,  pv^g  is constant.(g=gamma).

Then for any given inlet conditions we can plot the Area, Volume, and
velocity against the pressure at any point. We do not need actual
numbers. We can assume unit values for one inlet condition and work
on relative figures for the other.

It's hard to write equations in plain text isn't it, I hope you can
read them.

To determine the overall effect we must consider not only what
happens under the bonnet but also under the rest of the car.

Care to supply some figures. I don't have an XJ-S. I had a 1979
series3 Daimler Sovereign until a month ago. (A bargain at 150 pounds
that was, the tyres were worth more than that). I now have an '87 3.6
Sov.

Cheers,
Richard.

Please help support the move to the new site, and DONATE what you can.
A big Thank You to those who have donated already!

Go to our Homepage
Improve your Jag-lovers experience with the Mozilla FireFox Browser!

  View the latest posts from our Forums via an RSS Feed!

©Jag-loversTM Ltd / JagWEBTM 1993 - 2024
All rights reserved. Jag-lovers is supported by JagWEBTM
For Terms of Use and General Rules see our Disclaimer
Use of the Jag-lovers logo or trademark name on sites other than Jag-lovers itself in a manner implying endorsement of commercial activities whatsoever is prohibited. Sections of this Web Site may publish members and visitors comments, opinion and photographs/images - Jag-lovers Ltd does not assume or have any responsibility or any liability for members comments or opinions, nor does it claim ownership or copyright of any material that belongs to the original poster including images. The word 'Jaguar' and the leaping cat device, whether used separately or in combination, are registered trademarks and are the property of Jaguar Cars, England. Some images may also be © Jaguar Cars. Mirroring or downloading of this site or the publication of material or any extracts therefrom in original or altered form from these pages onto other sites (including reproduction by any other Jaguar enthusiast sites) without express permission violates Jag-lovers Ltd copyright and is prohibited
Go to our Homepage
Your Browser is: Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com), IP Address logged as 3.142.51.129 on 22nd May 2024 01:38:16