Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

[xj-s] RE-Still Looking to buy

[xj-s] RE-Still Looking to buy

When I purchased my first 88 Hess last year, I found the acceleration
bordering on pathetic. It took me over 6 months,( between many other jobs,
was new to the V12 then), to get the car going as it should. The two main
items are the centrifugal advance and vacuum advance, other contributors
were broken vacuum lines, new O2 sensors, throttle pot not working etc.
etc. Most of the V12 cars you test drive will probably have some of the
same problems. The 6 cyl is around 225bhp and the V12 is about 280bhp, so
the V12 should go better, even with the GM slush box. Try and find a V12
thats runs correctly and test drive. I also found the tranny vacuum
modulator was worn. The tranny would always change gear before 3000 rpm
(excluding kickdown). As mentioned before an adjustable modulator improves
the acceleration considerably. I have adjusted the modulator to change gear
at about 4000 to 4500 rpm under heavy throttle. This V12 has no torque at
low rpm, needs 3000 rpm+ to start pulling. Thats why the acceleration from
70mph to 100mph is great.

A side note. I would like to start a list of Hess & Eisenhardt owners.
Please send me details of the car and owner. I will mail the list to all
those who send details. We can then ask Hess specific question between the
Hess group.

Color
Miles
VIN
Other Details

Owner Details
State (assuming US)
How long owned etc.
Email Address

Do not send address or telephone number

I replaced the front crank oil seal today. All went well, just had a few
problems getting the key out of the crank shaft. Pusycat no. 2 will now be
clean at the front end. When doing the job, I replaced the thermostats. The
car had 74C stats? Replaced them with 88C (180F). The car ran fine with the
74C stats, but I don't think it helps with overheating. Once the stats are
fully open, and the temp is still increasing, basically your open loop, and
scre__d if stuck in traffic.

Dave Johnson
Two 88 Hess Conv.

>Well I am still considering the Hess & Eisenhardt that I mentioned on an
>earlier post but with the considerable comments I received I have driven
>several other XJ-S(es).  I have just driven a 1995 model with a 6 cyl
>engine.  It actually seemed to have more power and acceleration than the
>12s that I have driven.  Was this just my imagination?  How does the
>late model 6 compare with the earlier 12s(1987-1994) in terms of
>acceleration and top end performance as well as reliability?  This whole
>endeavor started out because I wanted a V-12 and now many more variables
>than I expected are entering the fray.
>     Your time and comments are appreciated.
Randy Fox
'66 E-Type OTS

Please help support the move to the new site, and DONATE what you can.
A big Thank You to those who have donated already!

Go to our Homepage
Improve your Jag-lovers experience with the Mozilla FireFox Browser!

  View the latest posts from our Forums via an RSS Feed!

©Jag-loversTM Ltd / JagWEBTM 1993 - 2024
All rights reserved. Jag-lovers is supported by JagWEBTM
For Terms of Use and General Rules see our Disclaimer
Use of the Jag-lovers logo or trademark name on sites other than Jag-lovers itself in a manner implying endorsement of commercial activities whatsoever is prohibited. Sections of this Web Site may publish members and visitors comments, opinion and photographs/images - Jag-lovers Ltd does not assume or have any responsibility or any liability for members comments or opinions, nor does it claim ownership or copyright of any material that belongs to the original poster including images. The word 'Jaguar' and the leaping cat device, whether used separately or in combination, are registered trademarks and are the property of Jaguar Cars, England. Some images may also be © Jaguar Cars. Mirroring or downloading of this site or the publication of material or any extracts therefrom in original or altered form from these pages onto other sites (including reproduction by any other Jaguar enthusiast sites) without express permission violates Jag-lovers Ltd copyright and is prohibited
Go to our Homepage
Your Browser is: Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com), IP Address logged as 3.144.13.181 on 19th May 2024 16:30:53