Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

[xj-s] Heater Core Filter

[xj-s] Heater Core Filter

A pair of Gano radiator hose filters is on order.  However, the Gano
literature also offers a smaller filter assembly for protecting the
heater core from plugging.  My immediate reaction was "Who cares?  If
the heater core gets plugged, it doesn't damage the engine."

On top of this, the basic radiator hose filter is in a clear tube so
you can see the screen getting plugged (you can get a brass version,
I guess for plastic-phobes) while the filter assembly for the heater
hose is brass and must be disassembled if you suspect pluggage.

So, I didn't order one.  Then, today, I'm shopping for other stuff,
and two realizations came to me:

a)  The heater core getting plugged might not damage the engine, but
it'd still be no picnic to fix.

b)  I don't need to get this item from Gano; it's available in any
hardware store!  All it requires is a pair of fittings for a 5/8"
garden hose, and one of those hose washers with the built-in conical
screen.

FYI, garden hose fittings generally come in three flavors:  The
plastic crap, the slightly better "corrogated" brass (made of thin
brass formed to shape), and actual quality fittings machined from
solid brass.  This being the US, 95% of consumers are morons who buy
the plastic crap, and 95% of retailers are also morons who cater to
this stupidity rather than making the slightest efforts towards
educating their customers on why a better product is the wiser buy.
So, the solid machined brass items are a little hard to find.

I found that Home Depot carries an excellent set.  Made by Nelson,
item N-1558 B, "5/8" Brass Hose Repair -- Extra Heavy Duty Rod Brass"
contains a male fitting, a female fitting, two SS worm screw hose
clamps, and one rubber washer -- IOW, everything you need except that
you'll need to pitch the simple washer and install a screened washer
instead.  This set costs about $5, and the screened washers are cheap
-- I had some already since I use them in the lines to the washing
machine (the application they are typically intended for).  In fact,
with a little shopping you can actually find screened washers in two
or three different screen grid sizes (I chose the biggest holes I
could find; the fine ones are REALLY fine).  After screwing the
two fittings together with this screened washer in the middle, just
cut the heater hose from the engine to the heater valve and install
this assembly with the clamps.

An alternative method might be to simply buy a 5/8" hose intended to
connect a washing machine to the faucet.  These hoses are about 5
feet long and already have the screened washer in place.  All
you need to do is cut the hose in the middle somewhere, screw the
ends together, and install the entire hose as the line from the
engine to the heater valve.  It might not actually be made of
automotive heater hose, but these hoses are intended to carry
domestic hot water and be reliable enough that you can go on vacation
for a month and not worry about the hose bursting and flooding your
house while you're gone.

You'll probably need to clean it out a coupla times right off the
bat, since an unscreened system is probably circulating a lot of
crap.  Cleaning this thing should be easy, though, since you can
easily install this thing at the VERY highest point in the system and
not even have to do any draining.  Just unscrew the two hose fittings
from each other, clean out the crud, and reassemble.

Will the screen in the line reduce flow to the heater core?  Perhaps.
 Here in FL, we couldn't care less; any flow at all is enough, and
most of the time we'd rather have LESS flow.  But you guys who live
in the less habitable climates might think before installing this
screen.  I have this suggestion:  Install the screen assembly, and
then when winter approaches, unscrew the fittings and replace the
screened washer with a normal hose washer.  That way, you get
filtration in the summer, full flow in the winter.  With any luck at
all, the filtration in the summer will take enough of the crud out of
the system that there won't be any pluggage during the winter.

 -- Kirbert      |     If anything is to be accomplished,
                 |     some rules must be broken.
                 |          - Palm's Postulate

Please help support the move to the new site, and DONATE what you can.
A big Thank You to those who have donated already!

Go to our Homepage
Improve your Jag-lovers experience with the Mozilla FireFox Browser!

  View the latest posts from our Forums via an RSS Feed!

©Jag-loversTM Ltd / JagWEBTM 1993 - 2024
All rights reserved. Jag-lovers is supported by JagWEBTM
For Terms of Use and General Rules see our Disclaimer
Use of the Jag-lovers logo or trademark name on sites other than Jag-lovers itself in a manner implying endorsement of commercial activities whatsoever is prohibited. Sections of this Web Site may publish members and visitors comments, opinion and photographs/images - Jag-lovers Ltd does not assume or have any responsibility or any liability for members comments or opinions, nor does it claim ownership or copyright of any material that belongs to the original poster including images. The word 'Jaguar' and the leaping cat device, whether used separately or in combination, are registered trademarks and are the property of Jaguar Cars, England. Some images may also be © Jaguar Cars. Mirroring or downloading of this site or the publication of material or any extracts therefrom in original or altered form from these pages onto other sites (including reproduction by any other Jaguar enthusiast sites) without express permission violates Jag-lovers Ltd copyright and is prohibited
Go to our Homepage
Your Browser is: Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com), IP Address logged as 18.224.251.136 on 19th May 2024 16:23:30