Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

Re: [xj-s] Head Pulling

Re: [xj-s] Head Pulling

Neither of my heads had been taken off, and I was real pleased I'd pulled
the engine.  Both needed serious persuation with an 8lb hide hammer,
striking upward first at the back and then the front of the head.  At one
point my thoughs were going in the same direction as yours Kirkby, that some
puller tool would be necessary, but they started to give eventually.  Even
so, it must have taken me a good hour and then some to get each off.  What
found was that the holes and studs were coated with crud - yes, it looked
like solidified Barrs Leaks (aargh).  I cleaned the studs with wire brush
etc, and ran a drill (just held by hand!) down the holes.  There seems to be
a good clearance when they are clean, BUT the holes are stepped.  Large
diameter over the bottem 80% or so, and a smaller diameter at the top so it
locates accurately on the studs.

I have no idea how I would have tackled this in the car.  Might have tried
taking the weight on the lifting eyes using my hoist and then belting the
head in some sensitive positions with the said 8lb hide hammer to shock it
loose.

Good luck, Kirkby

Craig