Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

[xj-s] Can you recognise this car and engine description?

[xj-s] Can you recognise this car and engine description?

Folks

This has definate Jaguar and V-12 content, so it belongs here rather than
the PUB list!

I found this in the April 1998 edition of British magazine Classic and
Sports Car. See if you can identify the car and engine they are talking
about. My only hint is that it is obviously not a Jaguar. It makes an
interesting read! (The answer is right at the bottom...)

"The official figure for peak torque says it all: 322lb ft at 1400 rpm.
That statistic needs to sink in. Even a recent 6-litre Jaguar XJ12, with
353lb ft, doesn't better the output by much, but it's delivered at a rather
higher 2850rpm. The XXXXXXX's low-down pulling power -- that 1400rpm peak
is just unreal by modern standards -- is unequalled by any modern car, even
if maximum power, 150bhp at 3600rpm, seems rather more in keeping with its
time."

The article later describes driving the car, especially the technique
required for maximum acceleration:

 "Driving on the torque and changing gear early is the secret. First gear
in the three-speed 'box is just a get-you-rolling ratio. Without touching
the throttle, you release the deliciously light clutch and the car moves
seamlessly and inaudibly forward, gathering into a brief surge of
acceleration as you press the throttle. <I'll skip the bit about
double-declutching into second gear> Then there's a more sustained urge --
and a mellow grumble -- before you pull the lever sweetly back to take top
gear, at all of 15mph. And then you stay in top gear more or less all day,
letting the gargantuan engine dig deep for torque up hills or in traffic.
Twelve big cylinders are so forgiving that there was no protest when,
having forgotten I wasn't driving an automatic, I crawled into a roundabout
at a mere 5pmh."

Well, a few more hints... the open two seater car in question was built in
1937, engine is V12 7.3 litre. (From the pctures in the magazine it looks
like a side valve.) The car covered the flying quarter mile in a contempory
test at Brooklands doing 92.78mph, but was reputed to have been clocked at
nearly 115mph in a test to determine "whether their new car might be faster
than a driven golf ball. Possibly the most bizzare speed test ever devised
was staged at XXXXXXX's proving ground."

-----
answer below

It's the 1937 Packard Twelve 1507 Coupe Roadster -- a two seater plus
dickey seat. Yep, it's an American. According to the article, only a
handful crossed the Atlantic. It has a wheelbase almost twice as long as a
Mini -- and this is the medium-sized of three chassis lengths that were
available!

Vaughan

Please help support the move to the new site, and DONATE what you can.
A big Thank You to those who have donated already!

Go to our Homepage
Improve your Jag-lovers experience with the Mozilla FireFox Browser!

  View the latest posts from our Forums via an RSS Feed!

©Jag-loversTM Ltd / JagWEBTM 1993 - 2024
All rights reserved. Jag-lovers is supported by JagWEBTM
For Terms of Use and General Rules see our Disclaimer
Use of the Jag-lovers logo or trademark name on sites other than Jag-lovers itself in a manner implying endorsement of commercial activities whatsoever is prohibited. Sections of this Web Site may publish members and visitors comments, opinion and photographs/images - Jag-lovers Ltd does not assume or have any responsibility or any liability for members comments or opinions, nor does it claim ownership or copyright of any material that belongs to the original poster including images. The word 'Jaguar' and the leaping cat device, whether used separately or in combination, are registered trademarks and are the property of Jaguar Cars, England. Some images may also be © Jaguar Cars. Mirroring or downloading of this site or the publication of material or any extracts therefrom in original or altered form from these pages onto other sites (including reproduction by any other Jaguar enthusiast sites) without express permission violates Jag-lovers Ltd copyright and is prohibited
Go to our Homepage
Your Browser is: Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com), IP Address logged as 18.224.251.136 on 19th May 2024 16:23:24