Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

[xj-s] Anatomy of a disaster or Overheating, here it comes.

[xj-s] Anatomy of a disaster or Overheating, here it comes.

In the recent thread about overheating I have stated that if you properly
maintain your V-12 XJS it will not overheat.  Yesterday my XJS almost
overheated.  BUT....I caught it in time and repaired the problem.

Like I said earlier, down here in Texas we are very vigilant about the
cooling system because its so critical.  Well....about a week ago I
reported that I had lost about three quarts of fluid and it had caused a
slight elevation, above normal, of the temperature.  I noted this
information and told myself to watch for a repeat.  This was warning #1 of
an impending problem.

Always be suspicious of a fluid loss no mater how small.

Yesterday I got warning #2.  The alternator seemed to take several seconds
to come up to snuff and shut off the red light on the dash.  This is not
normal for my car.  (See below for what this indicated, I would be giving
away the story if I told you now.)

Always be suspicious of ANYTHING that is not normal.

I swaped cars with the wife at mid day and reported to her that I had
noticed the temp guage riding up into the N and that this was not normal.
Then I left hter to her own devices to get home.  Later I arive home about
5 minutes after her and she reported to me that the needle had stayed in
the ceter of the N.  This is definately not normal.  AND.....she reported
hearing a hissing noise as she passed around the bonnet on exiting. (If you
have read my book The XJ6 Jaguar from Bumper to Bumper you will know I
recommend that you always walk around the front of your car, instead of the
back, when getting out so that you can hear, smell or feel anthing new.)

This was the third warning!!!

I opened the hood and looked in.  It had been 5 minutes since she had
parked it in 98 degree ambient temps so it was still too warm to work on,
but it was not particularly hot and did not smell overheated nor did I
smell the rubbery smell of a leaking hose.  I did not see any water
anywhere...but...I noticed some hardwater spots on the front left
fenderwell that I didnt think I had seen before.  So I decided to start the
engine.  The temp was in the middle of the N, but that would be normal for
only 5 minutes after shut down.  I then looked under the hood and again saw
nothing to be alarmed about.  I was at that point thinking that perhaps it
was only a little low on water, which concerned me, but thought I would
just add some and see if that worked.  I turned off the engine and
immediately there was a hissing noise from the left front side of the
engine.  A very casual examination found that the 5/16" line from the
leftside of the engine to the small copper tube on the top of the radiatior
was split and blowing steam.

$1.35 worth of hose and 10 minutes later it was repaired and 1.5 gallons of
water was added to the system.

A less vigilant owner would have had a meltdown in a few days and then
would have blamed Jaguar for a car prone to overheating.  It wasnt Jaguars
fault, it was an American made piece of hose that failed.

While I am up on the soapbox, I have a question:

I replaced the hose with a piece of 5/16" fuel line.  Is there any reason
not to use fuel line to carry water?  The man at the parts store said he
would have to special order water hose of that size so I took fuel line
instead.

In case you are wondering about the #2 warning.....Ethylene Glycol makes
the fan belt very slippery.
                                    Cheers,  Jim

"Better an outlaw than not free."  Nance Oneil

Low Tech Web page          http://www.angelfire.com/tx/MillenniumFalcon
 (need only web access, no pictures to download)
Medium Tech Web page       http://members.spree.com/Millennium
 (Need at least VGA and 28K modem or else its very slow)
High Tech Web Page         http://members.tripod.com/~Jim_Isbell
 (Should have fast modem, fast computer,SVGA, sound capability...etc.)

Please help support the move to the new site, and DONATE what you can.
A big Thank You to those who have donated already!

Go to our Homepage
Improve your Jag-lovers experience with the Mozilla FireFox Browser!

  View the latest posts from our Forums via an RSS Feed!

©Jag-loversTM Ltd / JagWEBTM 1993 - 2024
All rights reserved. Jag-lovers is supported by JagWEBTM
For Terms of Use and General Rules see our Disclaimer
Use of the Jag-lovers logo or trademark name on sites other than Jag-lovers itself in a manner implying endorsement of commercial activities whatsoever is prohibited. Sections of this Web Site may publish members and visitors comments, opinion and photographs/images - Jag-lovers Ltd does not assume or have any responsibility or any liability for members comments or opinions, nor does it claim ownership or copyright of any material that belongs to the original poster including images. The word 'Jaguar' and the leaping cat device, whether used separately or in combination, are registered trademarks and are the property of Jaguar Cars, England. Some images may also be © Jaguar Cars. Mirroring or downloading of this site or the publication of material or any extracts therefrom in original or altered form from these pages onto other sites (including reproduction by any other Jaguar enthusiast sites) without express permission violates Jag-lovers Ltd copyright and is prohibited
Go to our Homepage
Your Browser is: Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com), IP Address logged as 3.142.119.114 on 19th May 2024 16:03:42