Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

Australian Jaguar Reply on the V8

Australian Jaguar Reply on the V8

Before this whole subject of the new Jaguar V8 engine gets way out of
control, and since Ned (edition #680) is quoting my writings in the
Australian Jaguar Magazine I would like to correct what he probably has
mis-interpretted in a well meaning way. His piece has been taken out of
context which changes the whole focus of what I was saying, and I have been
writing for a long time now in our magazine that this engine is entirely
designed, developed and built by Jaguar (it is no secret that it is built
the the Jaguar-only department in Ford's Bridgend plant) - and is NOT a Ford V8.

I saw the engine well into development and running at the Jaguar Engineering
Department in Whitley back in early 1990, only a short time after Ford
acquired Jaguar.  A little Ford engineering was ASKED for by Jaguar
engineers to save 'inventing the wheel' and assist with meeting the time
limit, but don't forget Sir William Lyons had Harry Weslake carry out
further development work on his pushrod and XK engines - so don't be worried
about Ford's input (which was to a very minimal degree).  Also remember that
Jaguar have always brought in very many of its parts such as tail-lights for
the 'Mk1' which were on the Morris Minor and other products, and used GM
gearboxes more recently, so don't be too concerned if a minor part in a
Jaguar might have an origin from a Ford or something else.

I have no bias to or against Ford, and like all of us, was very concerned
when the takeover took place, but the facts are that Jaguar IS autonomous,
now has the huge budget necessary to develop top quality new luxury cars
(which it never had before), designs its own cars, builds them and has never
turned out cars of such fine quality and reliability.

It is fine to be sceptical, but let's support our favourite marque and not
start having unfounded rumours and scares which will do it no good at all.
The loyalty which Jaguar engenders largely helped it get through the bad
times under British Leyland and none of then could have imagined the future
could be as exciting as it is right now.

LES. HUGHES
------------------------------ JAGUAR MAGAZINE ------------------------------
-----------------------http://www.firehorse.com/jaguar ------------------------
-------------------------email: jagmag@ecn.net.au -----------------------------

Please help support the move to the new site, and DONATE what you can.
A big Thank You to those who have donated already!

Go to our Homepage
Improve your Jag-lovers experience with the Mozilla FireFox Browser!

  View the latest posts from our Forums via an RSS Feed!

©Jag-loversTM Ltd / JagWEBTM 1993 - 2024
All rights reserved. Jag-lovers is supported by JagWEBTM
For Terms of Use and General Rules see our Disclaimer
Use of the Jag-lovers logo or trademark name on sites other than Jag-lovers itself in a manner implying endorsement of commercial activities whatsoever is prohibited. Sections of this Web Site may publish members and visitors comments, opinion and photographs/images - Jag-lovers Ltd does not assume or have any responsibility or any liability for members comments or opinions, nor does it claim ownership or copyright of any material that belongs to the original poster including images. The word 'Jaguar' and the leaping cat device, whether used separately or in combination, are registered trademarks and are the property of Jaguar Cars, England. Some images may also be © Jaguar Cars. Mirroring or downloading of this site or the publication of material or any extracts therefrom in original or altered form from these pages onto other sites (including reproduction by any other Jaguar enthusiast sites) without express permission violates Jag-lovers Ltd copyright and is prohibited
Go to our Homepage
Your Browser is: Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com), IP Address logged as 3.147.103.15 on 21st May 2024 09:49:15