Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

Need Technical Advice

Need Technical Advice

     I have just subscribed to the jag-lovers mailing list and hope that
     someone can help me with a few technical questions.

     I have owned several Jaguars over the years and have restored two
     E-Types. Cars I have owned include 1969 E-Type OTS, I restored to
     Concours; 1966 E-Type FHC restored to concours (still working on
     this one); 1967 420; 1961 XK150 FHC; 1980, 1983, 1984, 1985 VP,
     1986, 1987 XJ6 Series III; 1988 XJ40; 1989 XJS Conv.

     I presently have three Jaguars and have a perplexing problem I hope
     that I can get some help on. The following description are problems
     on my 1984 XJ6, can anyone help?

     1.  I notice a clicking sound from behind the dash facia just left of
     the trip computer.  The clicking is most prolific when the climate
     control is off, as if a relay or control module is trying to operate.
     The clicking goes away when I turn the fan switch to automatic or to
     one of the speed settings.  The clicking is particularly noticeable
     when the car is cold, and switch is on automatic. The clicking stops
     when the fan turns on.  Occasionally, a few clicks can be heard with
     the fan on.  I have reviewed a wiring diagram and can find nothing
     that suggests a relay or control module related to the ac/heater
     control that would account for the clicking. The climate control
     system works just fine, just this bothersome clicking noise.  I am
     confused, can you help?

     2. Another problem, that may or may not be related is the oil pressure
     gauge needle swings far left or remains far right.  When the clicking
     is heard (described above) the needle swings violently left to right
     in sink with the clicking sound (or so it seems).  Other times the
     needle rests far left or right.  Is this the oil pressure sending unit
     causing the problem with the gauge?  How is the gauge related the
     clicking sound?  I have reviewed wire diagrams for the car and I see
     no relation between the oil pressure gauge and heater/ac controls.

     3.  I have owned several XJ6 III and have noticed on all of them a
     rough idle.  There is a definite miss as the car idles, sometimes more
     noticeable then at other times.  This has been a common characteristic
     of all 6 XJ6's (4.2) I have owned.  I have replaced spark plugs, tried
     different gas.  My experience suggest this is common.  Should I
     replace the distributor cap and rotor, spark plug wires, timing or
     should I look to a fuel problem?

     4. Another problem is that the car "floats" on the road and When I
     make a corner the steering wheel stays cocked to that direction on the
     straight. I just got an alignment and I now suspect worn rack
     bushings.

     Any assistance, and your comments would be greatly appreciated

     Thank You

     Tom Keohan
     tom_keohan@nps.gov

Please help support the move to the new site, and DONATE what you can.
A big Thank You to those who have donated already!

Go to our Homepage
Improve your Jag-lovers experience with the Mozilla FireFox Browser!

  View the latest posts from our Forums via an RSS Feed!

©Jag-loversTM Ltd / JagWEBTM 1993 - 2024
All rights reserved. Jag-lovers is supported by JagWEBTM
For Terms of Use and General Rules see our Disclaimer
Use of the Jag-lovers logo or trademark name on sites other than Jag-lovers itself in a manner implying endorsement of commercial activities whatsoever is prohibited. Sections of this Web Site may publish members and visitors comments, opinion and photographs/images - Jag-lovers Ltd does not assume or have any responsibility or any liability for members comments or opinions, nor does it claim ownership or copyright of any material that belongs to the original poster including images. The word 'Jaguar' and the leaping cat device, whether used separately or in combination, are registered trademarks and are the property of Jaguar Cars, England. Some images may also be © Jaguar Cars. Mirroring or downloading of this site or the publication of material or any extracts therefrom in original or altered form from these pages onto other sites (including reproduction by any other Jaguar enthusiast sites) without express permission violates Jag-lovers Ltd copyright and is prohibited
Go to our Homepage
Your Browser is: Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com), IP Address logged as 3.144.107.116 on 21st May 2024 12:17:30