Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

XJ-S Battery

XJ-S Battery

As reported earlier, the battery in my '83 XJ-S died.  Today I purchased a
replacement, and I am reporting on it because the replacement seems so
excellent that others might be interested.

In my local Wal-Mart, I noted that *some* of the Champion batteries on the
shelf featured a flat-top vent cover with oval vent openings on both ends.
These are very similar to the openings described in my book regarding Delco
batteries, and appear designed so that tubes may be connected.  I hope this
is a trend among battery manufacturers; being able to remotely vent batteries
is probably always a good idea, and I can't see that it costs them anything
to provide the capability.  In any case, this vent scheme made the Champion a
contender for the XJ-S, which *MUST* be vented remotely; the other Champion
designs -- many of which were alongside on the same shelf, sometimes sharing
the same part number -- had obscure venting, apparently coming out of
whereever around the vent caps, and clearly impossible to properly seal.

Armed with careful measurements of my battery compartment, I selected a model
78-2.  I am happy to report that it fits the car PERFECTLY.  I was able to
fashion a suitable vent scheme with some 1/4" ID clear vinyl tubing and a
plastic tee.

As an indication of just how perfectly this battery fits, even the original
battery hold-down bracket fits around the top of it.  Well, almost; it would
fit except that it blocks off the vents, and the tangs protruding downward on
either end of the battery interfere with a built-in handle on the battery.
Easy enough to cut the tangs off.  The vents require a little more care,
however; cutting enough of the bracket to clear the vents might render it two
pieces!  However, with a little care, the top edge of the bracket can be
notched all the way around the corner and down the side, leaving a portion of
the side intact.  It might even be possible to notch just the corner itself
and leave parts of both the sides and top intact.  In doing so, the original
bracket can then be used to hold the original cover in place.  If the height
comes out too low (I haven't finished all this yet, it just might) it'd be a
simple matter to put something UNDER the battery to space the battery and
bracket up enough to hold the plastic cover properly.

Alternative plan B is to forget the stock bracket and simply fashion a bar
across the top of the battery.  Longer J-bolts can be used, and two 1/4"
holes made in the top of the plastic cover.  Then, after the battery is
secured with nuts and washers, the cover can be installed and additional nuts
-- real pretty cap nuts, they show within the boot -- can be used to secure
the plastic cover.

This Champion battery costs about US$58, comes with an 84-month warranty, 24
month free replacement, 36 months free jumpstart, and is rated at 950
cranking amps at 32 degrees F and 770 cold cranking amps at 0 degrees F.

The catch?  The 78-2 is a side-terminal battery!  The original top-terminal
cable ends must be cut off and side-terminal cable connectors installed.
They cost only a coupla bucks, the cost is no big deal, but many people HATE
side terminals!  This is the first time I've ever had any, I guess I'll find
out why soon enough!

In truth, the XJ-S looks like it was designed for side terminals.  There is
precious little room for top terminals, resulting in an unusually short
battery height-wise.  There's plenty of room on the front, however, and use
of side terminals allows this full-size battery to fit under that plastic
cover.

Now some questions for you XJ-S owners:  Wal-Mart has a computer battery
selection machine, and this battery didn't show up on any of the years of
XJ-S listed.  Some of the batteries that WERE listed lacked the proper vent
scheme (at least the ones on the shelf there) so were totally inappropriate.
But of more interest to me and the XJ-S help book was the fact that it listed
different batteries for different years.  Does anybody know whether the XJ-S
actually called for different batteries in different years?

By the way, the compartment in my '83 is 10 inches by 6-3/4 inches.  The
ideal battery height is yet to be determined, but it appears that it must be
shorter than 8 inches, terminals included.  The height to the flat top of the
78-2 is 7 inches.

 -- Kirbert      |     If anything is to be accomplished,
                 |     some rules must be broken.
                 |          - Palm's Postulate

Please help support the move to the new site, and DONATE what you can.
A big Thank You to those who have donated already!

Go to our Homepage
Improve your Jag-lovers experience with the Mozilla FireFox Browser!

  View the latest posts from our Forums via an RSS Feed!

©Jag-loversTM Ltd / JagWEBTM 1993 - 2024
All rights reserved. Jag-lovers is supported by JagWEBTM
For Terms of Use and General Rules see our Disclaimer
Use of the Jag-lovers logo or trademark name on sites other than Jag-lovers itself in a manner implying endorsement of commercial activities whatsoever is prohibited. Sections of this Web Site may publish members and visitors comments, opinion and photographs/images - Jag-lovers Ltd does not assume or have any responsibility or any liability for members comments or opinions, nor does it claim ownership or copyright of any material that belongs to the original poster including images. The word 'Jaguar' and the leaping cat device, whether used separately or in combination, are registered trademarks and are the property of Jaguar Cars, England. Some images may also be © Jaguar Cars. Mirroring or downloading of this site or the publication of material or any extracts therefrom in original or altered form from these pages onto other sites (including reproduction by any other Jaguar enthusiast sites) without express permission violates Jag-lovers Ltd copyright and is prohibited
Go to our Homepage
Your Browser is: Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com), IP Address logged as 3.142.133.32 on 21st May 2024 16:45:25