Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

Jags, Cold weather and the X(j)-Files

Jags, Cold weather and the X(j)-Files

I believe the fuel flap is kaput because of a recent blow of cold
weather.  The entire story goes like this.  I went out in the morning to
take the xj40 to work.  Locks are frozen tight.  The theoretical barrel
heaters had no effect, nor did several heatings of the key.  No problem,
I'll just jump in the xj-s.  It started and after a minute the engine warmed
up (but not me -- the heater core is out and heated seats don't work).  I
stopped, put in some gas and got back in the car, and did not lock the
doors.  Minutes later, as I swing a left hand turn into the center of the
city (right next to the drug rehab), the buzzer comes on for door ajar.  I
pull over, jump out, shut the driver's door (since I'm in the street) and run
around and secure the passenger door.  The car locks then go "click."
I'm locked out.  No key, nothing.  The car is idling.

I'm locked out of the running jag, which is sitting in a bad neighborhood.
Just then a tan xj-s goes by and the driver waves.  Boy was I feeling
the jag spirit.  Afraid to leave the car, I tried to "break" into it.  Rehab
residents and other street lurkers were getting a kick out of this.  Finally
someone comes out of a building and calls a locksmith.  He utlimately
gets the car unlocked and I'm on my way.  The guys at work had fun
with that one.

Now I'm taping an extra key under the car just in case.  Of course, the
car will never do that particular thing again.

Other new maladies:  the xj40 wiper doesn't self park or work on
intermittent.  Also, the head is blown off one of the "heated" windshield
washer elements.  And, as you know, the fuel flap doesn't work
anymore.

All this is to say I don't know how you jag owners in cold weather
environments do it.  One cold snap and both my cars need an exorcism.
I'm thinking the jag definition of "heated" is anything that generally
maintains itself above absolute zero.

--Steve

(P.S. remind me to tell you about the time the window wouldn't stop
going down during a rainstorm)