Donate NOW and support Jag-lovers!

IMPORTANT! We have moved! The new site is at www.jag-lovers.com and the new Forums can be found at forums.jag-lovers.com

Please update your links. This old site will be left up for reference, until we can move all the old content over to the new site.

Volunteers wanted! Please help us move information from these pages to the new site, and also join us in providing new, exciting content.

Serving Enthusiasts since 1993
The Jag-lovers Web

Currently with 3,166 members

SIII fan replacement

SIII fan replacement

Thanks to David, Tom, Mike and others who encouraged me to replace the fan on m
y 82.5 Series III xj6. Done! For those of you who have not looked at your
plastic fan (81 and earlier xj models have a metal fan, and the following
does NOT apply), look now! You may have multiple cracks which in some
circumstances may cause the fan to fly apart with predictable results to
shroud, radiator etc. Much cheaper to replace it before this happens. I
obtained a new fan from my local dealer at a very good price ($275 Canadian).
It is white, and appears to be made of a slightly softer plastic, and to
be fastened to the metal centre more securely. In all other respects it is
identical to the (yellow) original. This is a Jaguar part, not an after-
market fan. The replacement is not difficult, but is a bit fiddly. My car
has a one-piece shroud, as most later xj models do. The procedure is to
undo the 4 bolts holding the shroud (2 top, 2 bottom), remove the relay
mounted to the shroud on the left hand side, remove the small water hose
at the top of the right hand side (all of this is easy). The next part
is fiddly since it involves manoeuvering the shroud upwards (and this means
squeezing it a bit around hoses etc, but it is pliable enough to do so.
You do NOT remove the shroud. There are 4 nuts which hold the fan/torquatrol
unit to the water pump. Loosen the four nuts. On my car the fan belt was
just loose enough that pressure on one of the nuts would turn the water
pump to provide access to all the nuts. The most tricky part is this: there
is very little clearance between the end of the bolt and the centre metal
part of the fan. To remove the loosened nut, you have to pull the fan forward,
which means that you have to loosen all 4 nuts. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A PAN
UNDER THE FAN UNIT TO CATCH THE NUTS AND WASHERS which will inevitably
fall!!!! Once these nuts are off, the fan simply slides off. Pull it up
while holding the shroud clear. It can be done! Now you can remove the 4
bolts that hold the fan to the torquatrol unit. Put the new fan on to the
torquatrol unit (check that the fan will spin on the hub), and reverse all
the above steps. Take your time, especially since in trying to get the 4
nuts back on, you will drop one or two! Check for tightness, replace the water
hose connection after you have put the shroud down in place again, then the
relay, then the 4 bolts for the shroud. Check that the fan spins without
rubbing on the shroud. Voila! Note that the Haynes manual AND the Jaguar
repair manual have directions for the earlier type of fan unit with a
centre bolt on the Torquatrol. Not applicable. If you have a two piece shroud,
then it is only necessary to remove the top half.
Once again thanks to all who encouraged me; the list has proven its
worth anew.
           Gregory Andrachuk, Victoria, Canada

Please help support the move to the new site, and DONATE what you can.
A big Thank You to those who have donated already!

Go to our Homepage
Improve your Jag-lovers experience with the Mozilla FireFox Browser!

  View the latest posts from our Forums via an RSS Feed!

©Jag-loversTM Ltd / JagWEBTM 1993 - 2024
All rights reserved. Jag-lovers is supported by JagWEBTM
For Terms of Use and General Rules see our Disclaimer
Use of the Jag-lovers logo or trademark name on sites other than Jag-lovers itself in a manner implying endorsement of commercial activities whatsoever is prohibited. Sections of this Web Site may publish members and visitors comments, opinion and photographs/images - Jag-lovers Ltd does not assume or have any responsibility or any liability for members comments or opinions, nor does it claim ownership or copyright of any material that belongs to the original poster including images. The word 'Jaguar' and the leaping cat device, whether used separately or in combination, are registered trademarks and are the property of Jaguar Cars, England. Some images may also be © Jaguar Cars. Mirroring or downloading of this site or the publication of material or any extracts therefrom in original or altered form from these pages onto other sites (including reproduction by any other Jaguar enthusiast sites) without express permission violates Jag-lovers Ltd copyright and is prohibited
Go to our Homepage
Your Browser is: Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com), IP Address logged as 18.117.102.235 on 21st May 2024 22:30:53