15.7 - Installing MK2 rear bumper ( Greg Snow,
February 13, 2006
Installing MK2 rear bumper.
It is not an easy job by any means but having done it once I
the main ingredient is patience.
1. I put masking tape every where I thought the bumper may come
with the car - 2 layers in most places.
2. Install the rubber bumper to body seal on the bumper
chromed metal finishers (spearpoints) if you have them. I used a
superglue for the finishers and also glued the last 2 -3 inches
of the seal
onto the bumper. There are supposed to be 16 spring clips to
hold the seal
onto the bumper but I didn't have them. The pressure on the seal
bumper and the body is ample to hold it all in place.
3. Install the 4 rubber mounts onto the car. In the case of the
mounts, install the hat section brackets to the rubber mounts.
impossible to get at the 3/4 inch bolt after it is installed.
4. Ensure that the threads are all clear of crud on both the
and fixing bolts and that they turn freely into the threads.
5. I had to widen the vertical slots on the centre brackets that
to the bumper 1-2 mm each side - I did not have enough lateral
the bumper to get both bolts to start without doing this.
6. Mount the 2 overriders on the bumper.
7. Ideally you need 3 people to do the job. 2 to hold it and one
to do the
bolts. My first attempt was with 2 people which would have been
OK too if
the technique had been right. Some have done it alone using
blocks etc to
support the bar. This is the least desirable option in my
8. Offer up the bar and work on installing the 2 centre mount
It is a bit of a trick to get the bolt in and turning. I found
it easier to
insert the bolt with the bumper 2 inches away from the mount
then move the
bumper up nearer the mount as you attempt to get the threads
started. Here I
used a screwdriver as a lever against the head of the bolt to
toward the mount and a regular 3/4 inch open end spanner to get
turning. This was the most difficult part for me as my bumper
previous accident damage and the welded brackets were a little
why I had to ream the slots out a little I think.
9. Tighten up centre bolts most of the way but leave enough
movement in the
bar for step 10.
10. Now it is time for the 2 bolts that fix the hat section
bracket to the
bumper on each side. Here the pressure to get things fixed
whilst others are
holding the weight is off as the bar is well supported by the
and a little patience will get the bolts/washers and nuts
turning. I have short fat fingers and found it useful to install
bolts/washers/nuts using long nosed pliers.
11. Once you have them all started it is a simple matter to get
sitting where it looks right and tighten up all mounting
12. Remove the masking tape now. It is too difficult after the
13. You now need to run a tool (preferably something that will
along the seal to get the top flap up and sitting properly
against the body
to complete the seal.
14. Now sit back and enjoy your accomplishment with a few well
or whatever is your poison.