|Pre and Post war 1.5/2.5/3.5L
The following descriptions of the differences are taken from the Jag-lovers
Model Descriptions page:
SS Jaguar 1-1/2 litre, 2-1/2 litre and 3-1/2 litre
These were produced as a four-door saloon and as a drop-head
coupe, both seating five. The 1-1/2 litre cars are somewhat smaller than
the 2-1/2 and 3-1/2 litre cars. The early 1-1/2 litre engine was a side-valve
four, later an OHV four replaced it. The 2-1/2 and 3-1/2 were the same
OHV sixes as used in the SS-100.
The 1935-37 models had a single fender mounted spare tire,
the 1938-40 models had the tire under the boot in a compartment. The radiator
shell has vertical chrome bars. The front sidelights on early cars are
a separate chrome unit, but on later cars were done by welding a pod onto
the fender and blending in with lead. Horns are generally visible, mounted
on the bumper or under the headlights. Some cars have foglights. The door
handles are below the chrome side trim on early cars, but in line with
the trim on later cars. The tires are 18" rim diameter with wire spoke
wheels, with the chromed knock-off hub having the SS logo. The optional
Ace discs covered the spokes to give the appearance of disc wheels.
There were a few special bodies done by various other
coachbuilders including Graber, Saoutchik, Beuttler,
Van den Plas and a Mulliner divided limousine for Standard's director Sir
Jaguar Mark IV
Mechanically these are the same as the pre-war saloon
range and were produced in saloon and DHC form. The 2.5 and 3.5 engines
were now produced by Jaguar, Lyons having bought the tooling from Standard,
who continued to supply the 1.5 engine, making it the last Jaguar to be
built with an outsider engine. The designation 'Mark IV' first appeared officially from a Jaguar source in 1964
in the USA and is commonly used to identify these models, even if not ever actually used as a genuine model name.
Visual differences between these and the pre-war SS Jaguar
saloons are very minor. The radiator badge reads "Jaguar" with the engine
size, the SS logo having been eliminated. The badge in the center of the
rear bumper is a "J", replacing the "SS". The tires are 18" rim diameter
with wire spoke wheels, and optional Ace discs covered the spokes to give
the appearance of disc wheels.
The wheel knock-off hubs also say 'Jaguar' rather than 'SS'. A brochure released in early 1945 (not shown here)
around the time of the name change of SS Cars to Jaguar Cars still showed 'SS' on the spinners. It was withdrawn very quickly
and never reissued so only a few copies are now known to exist. Two are in private ownership and another is in the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, UK.